Matercraft Prostar wake plate test

jefflyman

We just skied my 1993 Prostar 205 with a Bennet X-14 dual actuator wake plate. The theory was to raise the stern to level the hull as the hook does, but more. With the hopeful out come to lower the wake and soften it at the touch of a button. I ski Malibu's alot and always liked their wake much more than mine and their level running hulls. Well it worked great and it was the best $650 I spent on my boat in 6 years.

We tested it at 15 off @34 and two skiers ( and my new Radar Vice!). Useing the dash mounted button and gauge we put the plate both all the way down and up during each run. Me and the other skier both agreed the wake hook was almost gone, no wake to climb up then down! There was noticeably more turbulance in the wake center which seemed to be very soft to cut when on the ski edge and seemed to come directly off the plate. No wheelies off the wake and should help the dreded OTF exits.

To me this is a must for older MC's. I have a feeling the wake will be even better at shorter line lengths which we will test next time out. Also now my young daughter wont need to climb a mountain at 30 and full lines length any more. We tested it in 6 to 10 inch wind chop on the lake to. With a boat load it was great to be able to put the bow down to help cut thru the chop, a much better ride, 2 thumbs up from my son in the bow! A slight bow steer was noticed but it was minimal infact I felt the boat tracked better when the plate was all the way down and cornered tighter with less sliding. We ski on a river so turning is very important to stay out of the trees!

I can post some pics of the install and get more technical if anyone wants.

• Baller_
Nice update, certainly more pics and detail would be great. Good work. Do you do any footing? My freinds have the same boat and they do a fair amount of footing so comments on that would be interesting.

We will be doing some short line skiing soon if the weather holds. No footing here but the plate would help wake crossing if the tubulant center is ok. Unfortunatly the boat will be burning more fuel now but the wake is well worth it. All the test we did was with a full 32 gallons of fuel, now thats some weight to counter. Heres some more pics.

The angles are very important I moved the actuator mount plate a couple of times but found a good spot. The other pic shows the holes needed to be drilled and siliconed in the transom. Third is a bracket I fabricated to hold the switch and gauge. Soory cell phone pictures. If someone wants to install one on there MC like mine it would be best to call me 315-436-188four.

DW, the plate is 14 inches wide by 12 inches deep or out from the transom. At the tip of the plate I would say its about 2inches down from perfectly flat with hull. Any more than that will disturb the boats attitude to much. Although I may try to see where to much is.

Skied again last night only 15 off again at slower speeds 30 and 32, OMG what a difference. Infact a 2003 Malibu owner said its by far as good as his wake and super soft. I couldnt be happier can you tell!