Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Slick water edge change thingy...

501Brandon

OK It has happened to me alot on glass type conditions and where we ski there is typically just enough light ripple on the water things work nicely. Now my issue, when its really glassy and I go into a glide the ski searches for an edge and typically the first edge it finds in the glide is the edge for a turn in so when I correct it my timing is shot and the pass usually stinks. Is this a common issue or am I doing something wrong? It was nice enough today that when I changed edges on approach to 1 ball it did it again...

I have similar things happen to me sometimes. Ski really well with a light chop and then suffer in glass. Here is my 2 cents on it. The chop breaks up the water tension between the ski and top of water thus you can carry speed better. Same idea of the stepped bottoms they are putting on some skis today. Slick water is more sticky and thus a bit slower and will slow you down more comming into the ball. For me I try to make sure to keep my elbows in and drive the ski through the second wake (I didn't say pull through drive through), and slow down the release. Keep tension on the rope just a bit longer. What I find is I get better angle out of the ball and end up really early and if I don't keep the speed up I will just fall over in the turn due to to much loss of speed. Hope it helps some, but no you are not alone. It seems so counter intuitive we always want nice smooth water and are upset with wind then we we do get it we can't ski in it. Were I live near the Texas coast we almost always have a breeze so unless I get out early don't see glassy water. And most of the time when I do it is at a tournament!

• Baller
@Klondike Out of nowhere, I developed the same problem this spring. Two coaches gave me essentially the same advice. The ski will only hunt for an edge during the glide for the gate of you are not already on an edge. Since you don't want to sneak in towards the gates before it is time to turn in, you need to be on a very light left edge during the glide. Just enough edge and outbound pressure to keep slack out of the rope, not a hard pull to the left.

• Baller
Always keep the ski on edge....period. This is a great reminder of that rule. Be soft in the knees and ankles on pullout and gate,keeping it edging out until it's time to go. Glass will show you mistakes easier...best time to learn and have a really productive set.

• Baller

What SkiJay and LiquidD said.

Also, your ski might be riding too flat on the water. Take a fuzz of length out or move the fin forward and see if that helps.

I would work on staying on edge though.