Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

2008 196 ticking noise

Cypresskier

• Baller_

Exhaust flange at the head is a somewhat common occurrence with the small block marine motors. I have seen more with the Indmar then that of the PCM. Pretty easy to figure out just run the motor with the motor box open and investigate where the manifolds mate at the heads if it is a exhaust leak you cant miss it!

My PCM 5.0L has been making a ticking sound for several months, but haven't noticed any adverse affects...yet. I haven't been able to pin down the location.

I don't think it is an exhaust leak or I would have noticed exhaust smell when I open the engine box. But will investigate that.

The water pump was going to be my guess because it seems to be coming from the front of the motor, but was waiting until I noticed any other signs.

If it is an exhaust leak what is it exactly that makes the ticking sound?

• Baller
If it's an exhaust leak, the "ticking" will be a bit like a "spitting" sound with the cover up. If it sounds like metal on metal, you might want your dealer or a trusted mechanic hear it. My neighbor's boat was ticking for a few weeks with no noticable performance change, until the valve broke off and totaled the engine.

• Baller_

Ticking noise sounds like either a lifter might be collapsed or collapsing, also could be a loose rocker arm. Pull valve cover to investigate, but don't run engine with cover off or you will make a mess. Feel for loose rocker arm but do it shortly after running so the lifters are pumped up.

Exhaust leak is a possibility and pretty likely, look for some black soot around the exhaust manifold to cylinder head joint.