Memorial Day weekend event at the Broho

• Baller_

Attention Water Skiers !

Our "Return to Broho" waterski tournament will be on Saturday/Sunday, May 26/27th.

Here's the link to the schedule should you need more info :

http://sanctions.dataweb.com/default.view?_mode=details&TournAppID=12W079

or, send me an email if you have any questions.

Should you feel you are not "tournament ready" quite yet, we also have a Novice group included as well. As a "Novice" skier, you get a 4 passes per round guarantee, with drops at every end if you'd like. It's a bargain, and way better than not skiing.

We've included the "Turn and Burn" format in our sanction as a skier's option, so you could get all 3 of your slalom rounds in on the Saturday if you prefer. Of course, this is an optional thing, and is at the skier's choice.

Saturday (late afternoon) will be the included BBQ with your entry, I heard JeanB is grilling "Monster Burgers" ! As always, extra guests are welcome with a nominal $5 charge. Feel free to bring a side dish / salad / or dessert if possible.

On Sunday, after the scheduled 3rd round, we'll build up an elimination bracket, and have a fun "Head to Head" event. Everyone is welcome to participate, with a nominal ($5) gas fee. Novice skiers can participate as well, it is a "handicapped" format so different speeds vs. line lengths can compete together. If you've never been part of an elimination H2H, they are a lot of fun, and (once again) way better than not skiing !

Please pass this on to anyone else that may be interested, and I look forward to seeing you at the lake.

RD

• Baller

Holy Cow. What an awesome weekend. Thanks Richard! The folks at The BROHO are as stellar as any you're ever gonna' meet. And the park-like setting was phenomenal. It was super cool to finally ski the hallowed waters of The BROHO. Well worth the 12 hour drive! I'm a greenhorn when it comes to tournaments, but I have yet to encounter an unpleasant human at any of these events. It was difficult and time consuming tearing myself away at the end of the day. Lots of new friends were made. I can't wait for the RADAR Open in mid June. I hope to see lots of familiar faces there!

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/jipster43/IMG_7796.jpg

My daughter seems more interested in her cotton candy than watching pappy rip an off-side turn!

• Baller_
practice Friday afternoon, 2 rounds Saturday & BBQ, 3rd round Sunday, then the trash talking starts as we bracket up the Head to Head, if you're new to the buoys, join us and ski in the Novice group, guaranteed 4 passes per round with a bargain entry fee

• Baller_

@shaneh - the water will be in the low 70's for the BigDawg July 19/20, and we've got a Saturday, Aug 9th 3 rounder, as well as another on Sunday, August 17th

@lksamm196 - the Aug 17th event is hosted by the Lake Sammamish Waterski Club, you ought to "man-up" and come ski some buoys !

there's always a Class "F" group with a reduced entry fee, where skiers get 4 passes each round with a drop at every end, for those new to tournament waterskiing.

• Baller_

@goodeskier after your second round Saturday, if you choose, you can immediately ski your third round. It's an optional format that some LOC's like to use for tournaments. The upside is that you're all warmed up, and ready to improve on whatever score you just set, the downside is that the usual rules apply so don't blow your opener or you're done.

Rule 13.03 Turn and Burn Format

A. DEFINITION: In Class C, unseeded tournaments and at the discretion of the LOC, a skier may elect to begin his FINAL round of a multi-round SLALOM event immediately upon the completion of his current round; i.e. "turn and burn (T&B)."

1. Can only be offered in unseeded Class C, and F tournaments. Seeded tournaments refer to those that give awards including awards for placement. In does NOT mean the arbitrary groupings - ability and otherwise - that may be used in many slalom tournaments.

2. Only applies to FINAL round of a multi-round SLALOM event, not to the trick or jump events.

3. T&B is an OPTION for the skier - must not be mandatory.

4. Rule 13.01.D does not apply when using this format.

B. BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT:

1. Use of the T&B format should be in the tournament announcement, title or comments section. Alternatively, telephone or other electronic communication should be made with the skier prior to the tournament announcing the format.

2. In planning skier groupings and official's assignments 3 minutes should be added to the time allotment for each skier that the LOC anticipates will use the format.

C. DURING THE TOURNAMENT:

1. Skier can either:

a. Establish intent to T&B at the starting dock OR

b. Signal boat crew immediately upon completion of a round using an

agreed upon signal.

2. T&B must begin at the drop area near the starting dock where all previous rounds began.

3. Skier may elect to start at any speed/line length they choose - similar to a normal round.

C. OTHER CONSIDERATIONS:

1. Officials and tournament directors should be aware of the planning needed to make this format run smoothly.

2. There must be excellent communication between tower officials, scorers and boat crew during last two rounds.

3. LOCs in regions that allow regional records to be set in Class C tournaments must be sure that this format does not clash with those policies.

• Baller
@richarddoane‌ so........ in the second round, I run 4@38.......... I could elect to add rope and ski a 3rd round opening pass of 35' OFF. If I run the 35' OFF I am into 38' again? If I miss the 35' OFF....... I score nothing? I have to run another opener regardless of rope length correct?

• Baller

@GOODESkier what you said is correct. A little strategy can come in to play also. Mostly because you can start you T&B round (last round) at any line length & speed.

So, you will start your T&B round at the end of the lake where start dock is (normal starting point). If it's a little windy and the opening pass is a head wind you may want to back up to 32 and run the 35 with a tail to set your self up for 38. Then again maybe 39 with a head wind is what you're thinking. If it's a tail opening pass your scenario might be the ticket for your 38. But yes, miss your opener and it's zero.

• Baller_
Smart guy drops back a couple of loops, then works back up the line. Miss your opener and you're scored at minimum speed, long line. But remember that out of the 3 rounds of the event, only the best score counts to the ranking list, so if you've got a decent score in the previous rounds, you could just take another crack at your hardest pass. That being said, quite a few "purists" think that the T&B format is just a form of legalized cheating, since you can just take another poke at your PB, and if it goes right you're golden.

@richarddoane‌ technically the ranking list calculates your average using ALL the potential scenarios and posts the best option. For example you could have one score at 3@39 and a whole bunch somewhere @32. The penalty applied to your best score will still be better than your "3 score average". Likewise, scores posted in record level tournaments are penalized less than in class C tournaments.

But you are generally correct that your best 3 scores will make up your average. We see the other options play out in trick or jump more often since consistency is a bit lower and there are usually fewer events.