A2 sizing

ktm300

• Baller

Even though I'm 6', 170lbs with rocks in my pockets, I'm on a 67.5 skiing 55k. I have access to both. The 66.5(at least the one we have) is stupid fast, great carryout, turns ridiculously hard, and gets crazy angle. The 67.5, once I played with it, is 95% of that but seems more manageable. Not as "reactive". It might be that I end up back on the 66.5 as the year progresses. But at least through 35, the big ski hasn't been an issue turning. The 11 and 12 are different. All the 11's I've seen had less rocker and seemed to be stiffer. Most people claim that the 12 is better.

My ski partner, who used to show off by grabbing any ski off the ski racks at the dock and going out and running 38 at 36mph on it, rode both the other day and hated the 67.5. Said it's the only ski he's ever gotten on that he couldn't run a pass on, let alone go shortline. But, he's at 36 and has always liked shorter skis even though he's 6'4". He said the 66.5 had promise for him.

• Baller

Thanks. I'll try a 66.5 Sat. Our water hits the 90's during the hot spell. Ski from 50 to 95 in a season. If the overall ride on the 66.5 suits my skiing style, I'll try the 67.5.

Horton and Chipman made great points in that the surface area is the real relevant number. Doesn't matter how long it is if the length is not in the water. The stock binding position for the 66.5 seems to be consistent with every 67" I have skied on.

• Baller

Shane H. I skied 2 sets on 66.5 today. Ended up with boot back to 29.00 as I felt that I was babying the finish of the offside like I was running out of ski with the stock placement. More time would have moved fin back to match. For a first ride, the ski works great. I can see where more ski would help me.

Will try the 67.5 tomorrow. Given that I could ride the 66.5 with a few tweaks, I would think the 67.5 would do well with a boots forward (30") fin forward setup so that it would ski smaller. Why do most seem to be moving the boots back to 29.5. Is it trying to find the right spot on the rocker? As the 67.5 is bigger and stiffer, were it not for going back for rocker placement, it would seem that an in betweener like me would stick to the stock forward setting (30). Of course, I will find out tomorrow but, every set I don't have to spend setting up the ski is a set I can be productive working on me. Thanks

• Baller
Put the 67.5 on stock settings all throughout. I think you will like it. It will be fast through the wakes but still maintain a good turn. 30" is stock for the boots. I am at 29.75 on the boots on my A2. Back is better, especially if you were at 29 on the 66.5. Let us know how it goes.

• Baller

Skied two sets on the 67.5. Stock fin #'s except I went 2.50. First set front at 29.75. Felt like driving a Lincoln but I could ski it. Did not feel as fast as the 66.5 Moved it to 29.5 and it turned better but did not have grip right behind the boat. Was turning but not going anywhere. Changed to just shy of 30 and moved the rear boot up to keep my spacing. Rocking chair effect. Just not standing in the right spot on the ski. If first ride is any indication I give the 67.5 a 5/10 and the 66.5 an 8/10.

At 29.25 the 66.5 felt great except too much tip at the finish of the offside. I moved the boot to 29.00 and it fixed that but I think it was the wrong move as I did not get as much tracking through the wakes. At both of those boot placements the ski kinda died the last few feet before the buoy/turned in too soon. Could I have stayed on the handle longer. Maybe. The 66.5 just flat worked from the first pass. At 35, I had to pull all the way to the buoy line to keep width. Can I tune the 66.5 to keep outbound or should I start working on the 67.5. Add depth to the 66.5, move the fin back, take out tip? Or will I be chasing my tail trying to get the 66.5 to work at my size and boat speed?

Suggestions much appreciated.

• Baller

ktm, like you a have been try a 67 and a 66 strada Im 6'1 190lbs, 5lbs heavy, ski at 34mph

I have gone with the 66 Im at 28 3/4 front boot one hole back on the back foot. back heel at 16 /34 fin setting are 2,508 deth. moved the dtf from .75 to 74.5 length 6.865 wing 9 down,

reflex front animal rear

I founrd that at -35 -38 the 66 was just felt better for me turns and hold angle better.

the 67 I was running 29. 1/2 front boot 2.501 6.850 74.5

so now on 66 and the 67 I have the same measurement for the toe of the boot to the tip of the ski.

just add deth and decrease the dtf to make the ski feel a liitle bigger. and rock the 66.

think short

Deano

• Baller

At Skidawg's urging, I'm back on the 66.5. Moved the fin back a good bit, which took the reactiveness out of the smaller ski that I didn't like. Setup is as follows:

Front binding 29.25

Rear binding 16.75

Length 6.845

Depth 2.508

DFT .745

wing 8

Badal had me split the binding up more, which is how I ended up with the binding position I did. I feel like i'm more balanced and standing over the center of the ski now. That, coupled with the dft made the pullout, gate glide and gate shot completely repeatable every single time.