Letter From Bob Crowley

The_MS

• Baller_

Did he feel the need to fill an entire page. Example after example unrelated dribble Felt like I was reading a sixth grade paper where they were required to produce a 300 word paper on a topic that could be written in a single paragraph. Is he really saying.....if you accept and understand these unrelated rules for all these other unrelated sports, than you must accept and understand why we have to do this". TSA?? really?? Figure skating crowd contole rules??? Justification and rational in this letter..FAIL! Try again.

As someone who writes political positions for a living this letter just seemed like it was written by someone who is reaching for a means to justify his position. The true extent of his point could be boiled down to 6 sentences scattered through the rest of a jumbled article.

The thing is that it affects us all because these are the people we have put in charge of the direction of our sport. Even the smallest voice makes a big difference. If we all start asking questions of those who lead they will at least have to start answering us.

• Baller

Gotta agree it was a pretty darn weak piece of rhetoric. Lots of unrelated stuff and logic fallacies, combined with no actual justification of the rules under discussion.

But let's be careful not to assume that being a sub-par writer means that either a) he is not doing a good job or b) the new policy is wrong.

Either or both of those might be true, but aren't necessarily implied by his poor writing. Let's not make the same type of logic fallacies that he is making!

On 5/5 we discussed the records checks for coaches at out annual officials clinic. Per one of the Level 3 coaches, The full coaches records check will cost perhaps $75- not including the insurance?. You also have to "attend" a child abuse class on-line apparently. Not sure if there is a fee for that too. I didn't know he was formerly with the figure skating crowd-

That explains several things, about how this is rolling...

• Baller
I haven't read the letter yet but requiring CORI checks for coach is pretty normal for youth coaches. I have coached youth hockey and lacrosse and a CORI is required for those. That said the local program pays for it. I do have to pay USA Hockey and register with them to be a coach.

• Baller_

I think we are all for making sure we dont have pervs coaching the kids and drunks behind the wheel of the boat. The thing they dont get is the fact that the coaches and drivers benefit the organization as a whole. The cost for the checks should come out of all USA members.

Bob, WTF.

I don't object to ensuring that known sex offenders are not coaches and known drunks are not drivers. That only makes sense. Making the volunteer pay for serving the needs of the organization, that is just too much. How about a credit on the subsequent year's membership fee?

• Baller
With my kids getting older and my time freeing up, I was just getting to the point where I was considering becoming an accredited driver, upping my judge's rating, and perhaps getting a coaching cert. The organization is not making me rethink all of that. At 48 years old I've been skiing since I was 5, driving since I was a teenager, and coaching my son for the last 7 years (having received plenty of coaching myself from Jodi, Wade, CP, etc). Why do they want to make it difficult for people like me with skills and interest to support the sport?

When I originally learned about the coaching records check, I wrote Mr. Crowley for the first time. His response was at best kind of lame, certainly unworthy of an executive director, whose job in part might be, serving, informing, and even defending the membership when necessary. In my letter, I explained I had been in law enforcement for over 25 years. My Dept. makes certain my record is clear, and that I maintain a valid driver's license etc. I am pretty well versed in the laws governing child abuse, sex offender registration, et al. Probably well enough to teach it. As a cop, I am a mandatory reporter. Makes no matter to USAWS what your background/resources or accreditation might be. They will beat you into the round hole or else. No exceptions. "Resistance is futile" so to speak. It was again a done deal before anyone in the affected group knew it was happening.

I did not renew my coach rating. It was merely a Level 1. I got it solely so our area could continue Junior Development camps. All the coaches are VOLUNTEERS- we pay to be there in time off, gas, food, lodging, and equipment. It kind of feels like USAWS is telling us- "thanks, for playing, but don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out".

The point has been made that of all the people on site at a skier development camp- USAWS is saying that only the coaches could be the risk and should be 'controlled'? Really? One percent of 100 is one. One percent of say 5 is considerably less than 'one'.

Like any governing body, what USAWS continues to do, is regulate and police the group(s), it holds hostage with ratings etc- driving a wedge between those in the membership who remain unaffected and don't object because it's 'not on them', and us suspect official types. To paraphrase a classic- 'taking a dollar from everyone except those without a dollar, tends to get the votes of those without the dollar.'

What I really am getting nervous about, given the coaches and now driver requirements- what is next? You know- "once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times, it's likely someone IS out to get you"... Maybe our Brave New (waterski) World is at hand? I'd say we are past the "coincidence" part though...

• Baller
Pretty simple to me. If I found out a "coach" was doing something to my kid during a lesson, it would be very easy to take a weighted anchor and take the coach for a long ride out in the middle of the lake. Good luck trying to find him! Bottom line is this. For every person who is a recognized sexual predator, there are ten who are and haven't been caught. As a parent, it is our responsibility to make sure we are doing the best to watch our kids, and for the pervert who gets past our defenses, it is lake and anchor time. Problem solved! Why the beaurocrats are enforcing this is....wait, money! nevermind, I now know the answer.