Cracked my Quattro!!!

• Baller

Arrrggghh! Felt a bump while skiing in a slow straight line after exiting the course. Thought nothing of it and did some free skiing, then I taught a friend how to deep water start, and after that, I pulled the wife around on the new Sixam 2 Point.

Had a few more runs before we lost the sunlight and packed it up. Next day I was pulling my beautiful shiny Elite Quattro from under the bow and I noticed an inch and a half long white line on the base of my ski just under the rear foot heel. Upon closer inspection I realized the white line was not a scuff but a crack in the carbon structure and the core material has been indented by the length of the crack plus another four inches back.

I thought the RTM skis were super strong. If Obrien doesnt take care of me, which I do not expect them to because it is not them that is at fault, does anyone have a suggestion for another "Wide Style" ski that could replace it?

I have heard some very good feedback about the customer service from Obrien, and was just wondering ..... Or complaining really. Thanks for listening. I dont know what I am asking. These things are such a bummer, but another excuse to buy more skis! Haha.

• Baller

I got mine from a nice fellow in Colorado who must have never used it. It did not have a single mark. Not even binding marks. Came in the original package with all paperwork and everything. I opened the box like it came from the factory. I'm the second owner technically and wouldn't expect Obrien to care about me, but wow if they do, I would be a rider for life!

Im am beside myself at how wide it gets and effortless the ski feels. I'm having the best rides of my life so far. I just don't want it to stop.

• Baller_
Back in the early 2000 I went through two high end OBrien skis. First one the tip delaminated. That ski had been replaced by a newer and more expensive model. They just sent me that one. After a season on it, small stress cracked appeared infront of the boots. They said it would not affect the ski in any way, but they sent me a new one anyway. I got 4 years on the latest high end OBrien and only payed for the first year.

• Baller
All of Herb`s companies are like that (I realize that Radar is the only one he currently owns). Obrien is amazing customer service, HO is really good, I am convinced Radar is the best. My RS-1's had normal wear and tear and some glue came off of the peice of cloth on the hard shell, and they sent me 2 brand new bindings.

• Baller
I bought a used Sixam SS from Horton back in 08. Skied on it an entire year and the fin box corroded and one of the set bolts broke off in it. Called Obrien and asked if I could get a new finbox. They sent me a brand new SS instead. Nice!

They do have great customer service with limits. They want take a ski on a trade... (you can't blame me for trying) I've got a 66" quattro that I rode 8 sets or less. It was not the ski for me. I would sell it for $500. Let me know if you are interested or want to see pictures. mray 95 at g mail dot com

• Baller_
Obrien is good with their customer service and warranty claims. I had a two year old SixAm 2-point that started to craze crack all in the tip and fore body area. same thing they asked for pictures and then asked me to send them the ski, then they called me and said yep manufacturer problem however they did not have the same ski to replace it with so they replaced it with a new Elite instead.

• Baller

I have gotten confirmation that Obrien will be replacing my busted Quattro. I have never experienced customer service of this level in anything! I will never be afraid of buying from Obrien EVER, regardless of price. You cannot buy this type of service.

Speaking to Obrien as a whole, when you release the Elite Bindings, I WILL buy them. Keep making radical looking skis like the Quattro. Bought a Sixam 2 Point for my wife and she is also having her best season ever!

• Baller

@Kfennell, I'd like to hope they are going to continue to cater to our market. The Quattro itself seems to be proof that they will. Although, by the same token it seems that one was another designed by Adam Cord and Mapple.

I was attracted to the Quattro because there is nothing else out there (correct me if I'm wrong) that is a proven design because of the original Elite, and RTM Contruction, and Thick as a Brick Tip design. It's pretty different, and I would assume that a company that ventures out this far in a design AND even releases the ski to the public would want to stick around a while.

Maybe I've just got wishful thinking and should be buying up Elite Quattro skis like there candy.

@ThePantsManCan You should be buying them up, I've got a few mates here in Australia skiing on Quattro's, and from what we've been told, it seems as though O'Brien will not be continuing to build the 67.5" due to difficulties in construction. If that is the call, O'Brien may stop the Quattro line altogether.

• Baller

Well, to all who care to read this thread, Obrien came through like A Knight in Shining Armor... On Steroids! With a Gatlyn Gun!

I received my replacement ski and will be shipping the busted one back for inspection. Everyone at Obrien was easy to work with and I am so amazed at the level of customer service.

Nobody should ever fear buying from this company. Please do, buy from Obrien. Also, a special thanks to Bob Elwell at Obrien for handling this personally, as well as handling the shipping of the old ski back.

Further, without BallOfSpray, I probably would not have realized I should contact the manufacturer. This website pulls everything in our waterski world together? So, thanks for all hard the work on here Horton!