S2 Review - Day 1

Horton

• Administrators
I had tried the ski before with wrong settings.... went out today with stock settings... I hope it is not just a honeymoon because first impression is really really good. Details to come...

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Like Horton says above about it being a honeymoon. I've seen countless skiers buy a ski after two weeks, then start disliking it. Why I won't do ride before you buy. You need more than two weeks to try a ski, unless you ski 6 times a day.

• Administrators

@skimech that is exactly why ski test take weeks and I try to not say too much in the beginning.

Also why the old ski tests I did years ago with 15 skiers over 3 days were the wrong idea.

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

I have got to say I am not looking forward to writing a review on this ski.

With most skis I have to adjust my skiing a little or think about something specific more than other skis. That is how I break down the details in my head.

So far on the S2 I am just skiing and skiing good. Maybe HO will forgive me if I just say "The S2 Rocks"

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Horton did they soften the S2 up some since last fall. I saw one of Badals skis that had a 1 inch groove about 1/8 inch deep down the top of the ski from the fin box all the way to in front of the front boot to soften it up. Heard alot of talk about them being too stiff.

• Administrators

@teammalibu what you saw as typical R&D. The factories do stuff like that all the time.

As for the flex I do not have anything to compare against.

The ski I am on is impressing me a lot. No BS- I really do not know how I am going to give this ski an objective review because it is so easy to ski well on it. Most of the time when I am testing skis I am thinking about what the ski is doing.... it is just there doing what it should.

As for the famous Honeymoon effect. I think I am past that on the S2.

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

@JC McCavit

It just does not work that way. I ski about 4 @ 38 on average - on any and every ski I I try. When I am skiing extra good I will get a little more. The idea of ski testing is to define what makes each ski different.

Some skis are faster or more stable or require or forgive this that or the other thing.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_
I did speak with Badal months ago. He said there was a run of 67.5s that were stiff. I've owned an s2 for some time now. 65.5. Do to medical crap, not much skiing has happened lately and I've been weak. Been fighting an infection for a month now in the leg that doesn't have lymph nodes do to Melinoma years back (go get checked BTW!!! ). Even in a weakened state this ski is great. Almost better then when I was running full strength. At full strength I was working the ski. Pushing on it here and there and then muscling my way out of what I caused. At 3/4 strength I didn't have it in me to do so. It skies better when not pushed or driven I think. Feels like it runs the course for you. Havnt had it past 35 but the 35s are much easier when I let the ski do all the work. It's like it has it's own tracking GPS device and knows where it should be and when. Having skied on a bunch of other skies last summer, this one seems to have a little piece of what's good in each. Easy to ski/forgiving like D3, holding angle of a Strada, and the speed of a Goode. All of these come in handy when ya feel like crap.

• Baller

Horton if you stopped going to stupid events like the Masters. You could work on your Ski Reviews. Thanks for the web site. It's been a while since I posted but read it everyday.

I'm following your lead I'll be at the U.S. Open at Olimpic Club In San Francisco instead of working on my golf swing. (waterskiing and golf not a match made in heaven handicapp goes up as soon as the boat comes out)

• Administrators

I sort of failed at ski testing this spring. Two things went wrong.

1) too much other stuff going on. Not enough time on the water.

2) freak'n ski is so darn good I can not figure out what to say.

So I am working on the writeup.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Let's see the video, I look forward to them. The good and the bad. If I have a good first set, I know I should just pack-up and go home, but I don't. I'm really liking the S2. I was back on the water today for the first time with a handle guard after nearly having my arm ripped-off two weeks ago.

• Administrators

I think the factory flex #s are pretty consistent.

Tommys www.gettommys.com is a sponsor and a full HO dealer. Besides that the owner, Tommy is a real live slalom skier. You will get great service- I promise.

Drop a dime in the can