I ran the course for the first time

Taelan28

i did it really slow and cheated on the opening gate but i dont care. It went by really fast and validated a lot of what i though. One, i ski without rythm. Two i dont pull after the turn at all. Three i can definately do this. I increased very fast. The first time missed the opening buoy second i did ok third time i got it and fourth time i fell. Fifth time and second round out i got it and increased the speed. Missed my first pass at 32 and got it the second time although i clipped a buoubuoy. Almost got it again at 32 but fell just before the last turn. Yes i cheat on the opening gate but im more concerned with doing the other 5 turns right and let exposure and practice let the opening gate come naturally.

Great job! Don't worry about the gates as you are learning. Some tips to help with rhythm. Set up 2 boats widths wide of ball 2,4,6 and cross in front of the gates. This should get you in good position for #1.

I would suggest pass in front of 2,3 and 4 then go around 5&6. Work backwards adding balls. Go 1 5 and 6 . Get that easy go 1 4 5 6 and so on. This will help with your rhythm. Slow the boat down 1-2 mph will also help. Don't worry about the speed of the boat position on the ski and angles more important as you learn.

Running it felt good but not as good as I thought. What made me want to do it again is when I failed to run it a second time. The slow speed was really good because it allowed my brain and muscles to process what was going on and once the speed went up I had as much trouble as I did the first time. As I do it over and over muscle memory will take over and my body will feel whats wrong and adjust instead of relying on vision first and trying to correct everything at once. When someone tells me what to do to improve I know for sure that I wont be able to do it because Im too busy focusing on other things, but running the course demands consistency whereas free skiing is too loose to give me change.

The downside is, and Im sure I've said this about 10 times already, is that I only get 4 passes for $25. There's no option, like if it were my own boat, to do it again and again until my stamina cuts out, so the improvement rate is stunted. The first 4 passes were really easy on the body and Im in good enough shape to do 10 (*at 15 off and 30mph*). I want to free ski for the value I get out of it (twice as many turns), and I love wipping around at 28 off but the consistency is not there, not even close.

A chronic problem I've had is pulling back and hard (see fist picture) and then buckling under the pressure (second picture), part of it is not leaning back enough, part of its is leaning back too hard, part of it is just being a pansy and not wanting to face plant in the wake and the last part is just plain laziness and not wanting to put my body under the pressure. Free skiing I'd maybe get 3 or so real good cuts and pulls that felt consistent all the way though, most of the time I make a good cut but I dont follow through to the otherside with aggression. Course skiing (when I run it) I get at least 4 good cuts and pulls across the wake correctly, though Im sure video would say otherwise.