figuring out the pre-turn

Razorskier1

• Baller

I am not sure how to put this into words, but here goes. Yesterday I shortened to 35 to train for the first time this spring. I ran 4 in a row and called it. That is the set up for what comes. Today my course was blown out, but I had a nice open water stretch so I skied that at 35 off and just worked on technique. After my first pass of 15 or so cuts I realized that I was pushing on my back leg, particularly on the heel side, at the completion of the turn.

So on my second pass I really focused on keeping my chest and shoulders over my front foot. So, from the point where I release the handle it felt like I was almost pushing my chest and shoulders forward into the turn. As a result, the front of the ski created the finish to the turn and the hook up didn't require any back leg pressure.

I think what this means is that what I did on the first pass was to let my chest and shoulders "fall away" from the boat as the ski was completing the turn. The result was that the ski wouldn't finish without back leg push. When I changed what I was doing to consciously think about keeping my shoulders "forward" and open (downcourse) throughout the turn (not just at the start or just at the end), all of the sudden the ski was doing exactly what I wanted it to do.

Does this experience/description make sense to any of you?

• Baller
Sounds like moving into a counter-rotation instead of falling back on your onside and forcing your ski then to have to rotate around you in order to get the ski back under your center of mass. Keep it up, brutha...very old habit to break.

• Baller

Yes. Yes it does.

Any move as you ski from the apex back to the handle that is not in the direction THAT YOU ACTUALLY WANT TO TRAVEL (left off of #1 and right off #2) is going to be like applying the brakes and will slow your speed through the turn and delay your acceleration. Not what we want. By staying up over your front foot you keep moving with the ski through the turn. Also, you put more ski in the water which makes your ski carve like it's designed to. I think you can even add to that with a concerted move of COM in the direction you want to go, but you're on the right track with what you were doing.