Looking for a Reflex 404 Release

MattP

• Baller

So I was coming around 5@32 today and every thing was fine, I was wide and early so I should have run the pass but my ski decided to release when it should have not. I swim over to put it back on and my release has snapped off, needless to say I was not a happy camper. So before I pull the trigger on buying a new release and cleat to upgrade my setup does anyone have a 400 release they would be willing to part with?

Thanks!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16201891/photo-112.JPG

• Baller

Matt, depends where you live you might find one at a ski shop that specializes it AT gear. That happened to me last yr at 2 ball -35. I found one at the local back country ski shop just had to drill the heel off the silveredo AT mech. They had 1 that was brand new got it for 50.00

since then I carry a spare( back up) got it from a freind who had a pr for At snow skiing and never used them.

I would get the new red anchore blocks they are worth the 59.00 keeps the boot from wearing out on the bottom, got my from H20.

Good luck

Deano

• Baller

I am reviving this old thread. I'm once again looking for a 404 release. Any ballers out there have a spare or old one lying around you would be willing to sell? It would be greatly appreciated!

I might try some ski shops though those are few and far between around here.

• Baller

The 404 was very prone to metal fatigue failure .I did a three day ski traverse with one foot wired to my ski shortly before I switched to different AT bindings . Unfortunately Silveretta has not made them for 20 years. Might be worth switching to a 500 and run the pass

• Baller
@BWhite yeah they snap. Look above I have had it happen once. I'll switch when I absolutely have to. I don't have the money to drop on a new boot & 2 releases + parts for my trick. It's just not in this college kids budget. I can run a pass..

• Baller

Interesting - just would seem like that if your boot isn't sitting on top of the release plate, that the heel ledge would be too low for the release to catch - which is the purpose of my wonder.

I have 3 404 plates/releases all with the underplate beneath the heel of the boot.

On the FM boot the boot has a plastic underplate raising the boot up level, on my reflex boots it just clamps down onto the block by the release.

Quick measurement looks like 2.2" from bottom of reflex boot to top of heel ledge. Didn't check it sitting on the plate.

• Baller

Matt, I have two new 404 and a 400 that was never been used in water but I live in Greece, if you still want one let me know.

You should also check ebay.de you will find many 404 and 400 at 1/3 of the price that are sell on ebay.com.

FM sells them for $150, on eBay you would pay around $70 plus shipping for two release mechanisms.

404 might brake but it function better than the 500 and the spring does not brake as with the 500 which for me it makes it more dangerous, so personally I will continue using the 404 until there gone off the market completely.

• Baller

@Bracemaker I have 1 plate with the heal ledge and 1 plate with the brackets so I can see how you would have those questions. @Ral is right about the brackets.

@skialex thanks! I will keep that in mind. I think I have found some state side and I agree I will be using them until they are gone.

• Baller
@MattP I have 3 skiers in my family using 404's and two broke last year so I have been buying as many as I can from snow skiing forums and EBay and have yet to pay more than £35 a pair delivered, wish I had thought about this source years ago as I will be sticking with 404's as long as I have got a supply.