Handle control and Abs

• Baller

Is it my imagination or does a focus on handle control seem to use a lot of "unusual" abdominal muscles?

I do a variety of ab work during the winter, but this season I am really starting out focused on handle control and I feel like I'm more sore in my abs than almost anywhere else as I'm ramping up.

Anybody have exercises to recommend (perhaps for next winter)?

• Baller
I'd go to the cupboard and take two Midols. Always helps when I have ramps. Seriously though, I know what you mean. Slalom really works the core muscles and I'm sure mine are sore too. Hard to tell when all my other muscles are screaming too!!

• Baller

The better you become you will realize that core stregnth is very important. As I have learned to stay stacked

my core is what gets the most sore. Do pilates, Bikram Yoga. 4-6 X's per week and you will be amazed. Of course this needed to start in Nov 2011 if you wanted to have a great 2012 season! Good Luck!

• Baller

I second yoga.

IMO the best ab workout I have ever found is decline bench situps with medicine ball throws. Add in some twists for the obliques, some planks and if you really want to feel like you are gonna puke do some hanging leg raises.