Skin Cancer Prevention

Glock

• Baller

Hi All. I know there has been a lot of talk and activity around here on the topic of skin cancer and melanoma. I recently went through a scare of my own and had to have a melanoma surgically removed from the back of my calf. The dermatologist and surgeon told me that I need to stay out of the sun and be fully clothed when in the sun with high spf sun screen on any exposed skin.

I have to admit that scenario is not too appealing to me as I love the outdoors, getting a tan, and being in the boat under the sun as much as humanly possible. So my question is to you folks who have dealt with this or have knowledge about this, what do you do to protect yourselves against this sneaky killer? Skin cancer is the biggest risk we all take being involved in this sport. What can we all do to protect ourselves better without looking like Mr Rogers on the boat?

I have had 2 basil cell carsinoma's (sure my spelling is off) removed from my chest its like a pre cancer thing i guess? Oneill makes a hoody called 24/7 Rossi turned me on to this last summer. It is fashionable for sure you dont over heat and it breaths really well. I just try to stay in the shade use sunscreen wear a hat and count on my 24/7 hoodie alot. hope that helps. Trust me your better off looking like Mr. Rodgers and alive than suffering a horrible death from melanoma.

• Baller

Sorry to hear about your melanoma, that is a very serious concern, but glad it was discovered and removed. I have my 6 month skin check tomorrow. I've been going every 6 mos since I had a squamous cell removed from my lip 3 yrs ago. I love the outdoors as well, and waterskiing presents serious challenges for minimizing the harmful effects of the sun.

Here are a few tips:

Dermatologist - Find a good one, that knows you, and the activities you do. Try to see the same person each time, and have pics taken of anything that concerns you to monitor changes.

Sunscreen - At least 50spf, and forget that quarter sized dollop nonsense. Use a bunch. Then reapply often, since getting in the lake washes a lot off. Your new musk should be the smell of Coppertone.

Bimini - Put it up.

Rashguard - For this season, I'm starting to wear an ONeill rashguard. I think it advertises 50-60 spf.

Floppy Hat - I have an old golf hat that I always wear to the lake and when driving the boat.

Time of Day - Skiing times are very dependent on lake time, drivers, etc, but if you can limit youself to early mornings or late evenings, the impact of harmful UV rays is less than during midday times.

In the end, if you have to end up looking like Mr Rogers, at least you'll be skiing. Keep in mind that if skiing success were based on looking cool, Horton wouldn't just be running long rope lengths as a gimmick.

• Baller

Glock,

Since I spend my days in the boat coaching, and since my Mom has had Melanoma and dealt with the issues like you, I try to take care of myself a bit as well. The biggest thing that has worked for me (like MarkChilcutt mentioned) is wearing a 24/7 hoodie or the new ones we have made by Eagle Sports to offer to our customers. Although a few days here and there in the spring I get some sun, once the season is rolling I try to live in a hoodie like this when I am in the boat...and I use the hood.

As for Sunscreen, of course this is important, but I have also been told that there is no proof that sunscreen guards against Melanoma in any way. Staying out of the sun is really the only true answer from what my Mom's doctors have told us.

All the things that Onside35 says are for sure killer. Anything we can do to stay out of the sun. The only problem is we need a little bit of sun for our bodies as well as we get Vitamin D from it...or it helps our body produce it.

• Baller
I'm going to have to look into those 24/7 hoodies and a good hat. I guess a good tan is a thing of the past. I better thin down a bit, I can't be fat and white. At least I'm not bald yet.

• Baller_

The more people I see looking like Mr. Rogers at tournaments the less likely this will kill another.

Skin cancer prevention: All the cool kids are doing it.

Whiteness is the new tan

Floppy hats are your friend

Shade is cool

If your not wearing SPF cloths, your just not part of the in crowd

Biminis make your boat cooler

Dermatologist are the bomb, they get your many layers

Umbrella shade; portable, stylish, sheik, trendsetting.

Sunscreen; best excuse ever to get rubbed down. And always reapply.

• Baller

ewg.org is a very cool website for finding out the truth behind products you use every day. Here is a link to one of their sunscreen articles:

http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/sunscreens-exposed/sunscreens-exposed-9-surprising-truths/

They also have the lists of the best ad worst sunscreens to use. I like to try to stay our of the sun or wear the uv protective hoodies that others described above. If you are going to wear sunscreen, remember that its a bunch of chemicals that end up in your blood stream. Choose wisely.

• Baller
Not knocking a sponsor, because I support them too, but having both the Oneill UV hoodies and the Eagle/H2O Sports version, the Oneill is incredibly more breathable and overall cooler temperature wise. I can wear it on the hottest day, where the Eagle seems less breathable, and is a bear to wear on the hot days. Just some user info