Pre/Post ski workout/routine

rodltg2

• Baller

So my first ski of the year I took two sets. That was last Sunday and I am now almost fully recovered! I was so sore I could barely open a door. I used to be able to just strap my ski on and go, no stretching , no jogging no nothin. I think I'm getting to the age where that ain't gonna fly. I didn't do any offseason workouts and I hardly skied last season , so I'm definatley feeling it now. Second sets of the year will be today. I dont want to be out another week, so any advice? Anything I should eat, drink, asain massage parlor? Any thoughts?

• Baller
I start a length longer than my usual opener for my first few sets, and I'll only take 4 passes the first few times out. No more than 1 set per day for the first 4 days or so. A little bit sore but nothing bad. Easing into it is the way to go.

• Baller
Try a slow jog to get the blood moving and the muscles warmed up and stretch. Me personally I spent alot of time in the gym year around and that has helped my skiing in both with soreness and strength. Although there is no routine that can really mimic the pull of the boat. As we age we do need more protein so maybe add a protein supplement to your diet and what has help me with the soreness is glutamine. It is an amino acid that helps muscle repair. Asian massage parlor would be a great help especially happy endings.

• Baller
This may not help you now, but it may help for next year. I tried some offseason training for the first time that really helped me. I am usually so sore after my first set or couple of sets that I can barely move. This off season, for about two months before the season started, once or twice a week I would use the low row machine standing and leaning in the position as if I were crossing the wake and then pull the handle up to my hip and hold it, then turn to the other side and do the same thing. I worked my way up over that time so I could do heavy weight and the equivalent of 6 or 8 sets skiing (i.e. 3 or 4 sets of 8-10 pulls each side). It really worked my traps, back and arms and I was barely sore after the first time I went and I skied 6 or 8 passes the first day at 34mph. I’m definitely going to do it again next year.

• Baller

I start with a dynamic warm up. Brian Detrick has posted a good one. lunges, with half twists, spiderman, breathing deeply, body weight squats, pull ups, push ups, leg swings, spend 15 minutes warming up, break a slight sweat, paise your heart rate to about 130bpm. I'm a big advocate of Bikram yoga for off season training. I did 5-6 days of 90 minutes per day this off season, 90 minute sessions at 105 degree room. Bikram is all about static hold position, which is exactly what we do in slalom. I'm looking forward to a great season, and if practice is any indication it will be as with less than 10 total sets I have run through 38' with no missed passes on

set 6-8. I follow a paleo style diet, have less than 10 percent body fat.

• Baller_
I find that if I ski the next day after the first annual set, it helps rather than hurts the recovery. As you age, stretches become more important. I find more for injury rather than just muscle soreness.

• Baller

I went on a workout program for the first time this winter and I feel much better than I ever have. I went to FL in April and skied 9 sets over 7 days with two days off in the middle and felt good enough to play some golf. I planned to shadow some balls for a couple of passes but that lasted one pass. I couldn't look at the balls and not ski around them.

I got my boat in over the weekend and have skied three days in a row with the last two in the course and feel good even with a hard workout this morning.

We don't have the best situation to get loose because there is no space on shore out where our course is.

• Baller
Stretching before and after you ski. Ski many short sets. 4 passes each. Ski 4 passes take a break, let the next guy ski, then go out again. Do as many short sets as you can. If you feel like your technique is breaking down, or feel like you are barely able to hang on, then stop for the day.. I just ski my opening pass for the first few weeks until it becomes easy again, then I start shortening the rope.

• Baller
I ski at 6:30AM most days. Warm up -- drink a cup of coffee, pull on my drysuit, pour a can of gas. Then ski. My cool down involves racing back to the lift, wiping the boat down, getting out of the drysuit, into my car and going to work where I sit at a freakin desk all day. Rinse and repeat daily.

For me.. I usually only get that sore the first set I take of the season. Im ruined for a week but after that I am set to go for the summer. If you ski regularly from here on out you should be fine. Always stretch before you ski and of course stay hydrated and eat good. All of these things will help for quicker muscle recovery and less chance of injury .