A "skiing" Good Day - Bad Day...Perspective?

skibug

• Baller

This is just a fun question to gain perspective. To set the record straight from the onset, any day on the lake (when your health is preserved after your sets) is a great day!!

My "skiing" perspective run down:

Great Day = 3 @ 35' off or set new PPB

Good Day = clear 32' off on 1st or 2nd attempt and a couple at 35' off

Bad Day = don't run 32' off

Does this change for anyone when they are testing skis or trying new sets ups? I would think so; but, I can't seem to trick my mind (personally) into thinking so.

• Baller
For me performance wise I am about the same as @skibug. However in general any day I am out on the water is a good day and if I have my kids with me it is a great day. Bad days are days I don't get to ski.

• Baller

1. Bad Day- Not getting to go to the lake.

2. Good Day-Getting to go to the lake.

3. Great Day- getting to go to the lake and go water skiing.

4. Amazing Day- Getting to go to the lake, go water skiing and hang out with your buddies.

5. Super-Amazing Day- Getting to go to the lake, go water skiing, hang out with your buddies with a few post water skiing cool ones.

6. Dream Day- Getting to go to the lake, go water skiing, hang out with your buddies, have a few post-skiing cool ones and get to see some hot lake chicks in skimpy swimwear!

• Baller

I understand and completely agree with all the above sentiments, but skibug is asking for skiing performance good/badness.

At mid-season on a good conditions day that I am going on down the rope:

Dream: Piece of 3 ball at -39

Amazing: Run -38

Great: 4+ at -38

Good: Run -35 well, suck at -38

Ok: Run -35 poorly, suck at -38

Bad: Fail to run -35

• Baller
agree with Than. All about how clean and how deep on the line. I don't feel good when I run a line and do it poorly. Oddly, when I run -38 it almost always is clean. Of course, that's because things have to go right as the line gets short or it gets ugly fast! Bad day for me is skiing ugly. The lines are usually about the same for me, so it is mostly about how well I ski them.

• Baller

Good day = carving turns, having fun with family and friends, leaving the lake stronger and not injured

Bad Day = loosing perspective, getting frustrated, its supposed to be fun

As much as I can, I avoid counting buoys, prefer to focus on technique. I can have have a great day running my opener over and over if I feel improvement, figure out something new, make progress in tough conditions.

I had a tournament ride last year where my second pass was awesome (35) and I ended up running deep 39 (great score for me) but it was ugly. Honestly, after the set I was just thinking about how good my 35 was and happier about that then the crappy technique 38 and 39. I know, in competition there are no style points but my hacking skills are well established, I need better technique if I want to run more buoys...but who is counting

KB

• Baller

Best day = no pressing obligations or time pressure coupled with a day on the lake running buoys w/friends. Finish with some first class ribs on the grill and some drinks.

Bad day = glass conditions and free time but no ski partner available.

From a performance standpoint...any day I run 35 REALLY well or 4-6 back to back 35's I'm pretty satisfied. Run 38 I'm jazzed. Have one of those funky days at 35 and have learned to feel lucky that I'm out skiing while s'one else is working.

Hoping to be more jazzed this year...would really like a successful tourney 38.

• Baller

Some cool comments here. I kind of love it on any day...it's just a ton of fun, but I understand the idea that performance does affect enjoyment.

Anyway, when testing gear, I personally believe you should definitely change the goals and the benchmark. Same thing on a windy day. Don't skip a set on a windy day, just understand that your scores might not be as high, but you can still have fun and kick some a--.

• Baller
@sethski....good comments...that is definitely one concept I am trying to embrace relative to wind. I still hate skiing in heavier wind but I do it anyway...complaining the whole time.....I don't even log my results on those days....other than I skied. I am sure it is making me a better skier by doing so...skiing in the wind.

• Baller
Bob, log those sets even in the wind. Mueller has me keeping track of my pullout, glide, and gate, Headwind/tailwind, wind speed, how I rolled out on a scale of 1-5, did I roll or snap the ski up into it's glide, etc. You can learn a lot from that and start to put together a trend for what works in the what wind. I'm finding that once I'm through the gate now, the wind doesn't effect me that much. Complaints about a bad pass with wind almost always revolved around the gate glide and then it went downhill from there.

• Baller
@shaneH...good point. The gate is always crucial. I need to start tracking wind and head/tail passes. I guess I need to get my excel spreadsheet log on my Droid or bring my laptop to the lake. Just one more thing to remember.

• Baller

Good day. Either I ski well, the wife skis well, or at least one of the kids ski well.

Great day. We all ski well!!!

I agree about having different goals for different sets. Same in tournaments. Had one last weekend and the goal wasn't buoy count, but rather trying out a new ski at a different lake under tournament conditions. Much more fun to have smaller (and achieveable) goals to go after vs. buoy count only.

• Baller
agree with @sethski. I skied a strong west wind straight down my public lake course this morning. Just kept the rope at 32 off and worked on starting right, like @ShaneH said. Honestly, when you do it right there is nothing as satisfying as just kicking the *ss of a pass in both directions in wind. Skied 14 passes and called it a set.

• Baller

@skibug

Try out Google forms, they are real easy to create and you can email it to yourself and then fill it in on a mobile phone. No more typing and the data goes right into a spreadsheet.

• Baller
@skibug I am working on an App for android and iPhone that will have a log in it and other cool features I have been working on. What kind of fields would you like to see? Just shoot me a message or email.

• Baller_

Perspective! Today is Steve-O's Birthday. So I and the Southern Region EVP (Bob) took him to the lake for a lunch time ski session. As I have described before Stephen rarely practices.... Today first slalom (on a course) set since last November and on a new Ski he had never ridden Ran back to back 28's, back to back 32's, and took a poke at 35 getting out and around two ball all at full 36 mph..... Then went out out of the boat and ran his hard trick hand pass worth over 5000 points and did it like he had been practicing all winter and spring!

Happy birthday Stephen.. A good day skiing is all way's better then a good day at work!!

• Baller
@mattP, I will send you my spread sheet so you can see how it works. Not overly complicated; but, I do like to keep running totals and percentages. I also have some personal things in there, like gas - meaning did I put my typical 5 to 5.5 gallons per 4 sets (BTW 127.5 gallons so far this year), days skied, sets skied,etc. I probably have more fields than the average skier may want; but, if you build them in or make it somewhat customizable; skier can choose the fields they want to keep up with.

• Baller
Today was brutal. Seventy-two degrees, no wind, and no one to ski with! But my ski partner finally came through and I skied my second hardest pass early and wide. It's getting difficult to focus on technique and not chopping rope!

• Baller

Agree with Ham. I love to work a line length really hard before shortening, especially in the spring when I am trying to work conditioning and technique. However, I am always amazed when I just shorten the line how the prior line gets so much easier. For example, this morning I ran 28, 32, and then four 35s (my first day of the new season training the blue loop). I then went back to 32 for my final four passes. They were totally a joke. Wide, lots of space ahead of the ball, and effortless. As long as you can do it without hurting yourself, working the shorter line definitely helps longer lengths.

It was 50 degrees with a 10mph north wind and 55 degree water here today.

• Baller
MS came over to sample a public lake. Wind out of the north so course was glass. Air temp about 60 ish. Water same. Had a great time and ran some early season buoys. We were the only ones moving out there.

• Baller
Yep, I am getting to the point where I just get back in the boat if it isn't going my way within 4 passes...save it for the second set or the next day. Like sometime last week where i got lean locked going through the gates on my opener and bit it hard with a side body slam. Took 3 more passes, which were not much to speak of, and shut it down.

Ever since I broke my ankle summer of 2010, and spent my summer behind the drivers wheel with a cast on, any time I ski is a good day even if my buoy count isn't very good. I know that sounds cheesy but it's true, and I think that mind set has helped my skiing. My buoy count is higher than ever.

• Baller

NO! That was ANOTHER of mi amores. LOL

I have tendinitis in my wrists that flares up every once in a while. Worked in the back yard Sunday and that caused it to get inflamed. Then on Wednesday I had to change the pool pump. Using the ratchet REALLY inflamed it in my right wrist. While skiing Wed evening, I was just losing track of where I was in the course. Like I was distracted. Although skiing didn't make it hurt any more, it was honestly the most pain I've been in since I had my appendix out 20 years ago. I guess because of the pain, I couldn't concentrate on what I was doing, which really became noticable in the 2nd set. Never should have taken the 2nd set.

• Baller

@Brent you have no idea how many times I've wondered if that girl had a voodoo doll of me and while sticking it with a big pin she was chanting Dance Puppet, Dance!

@Ham_Wallace Oh how I wish I could take advil or any nsaid. But alas, that would have me making a trip to the hospital in anaphalactic shock.