Into the course!

• Baller

Finally. After the warmest Feb/Mar of my lifetime, things turned a lot colder in April. Then last weekend we went to pull up the course and found all of our new cables were broken. (I cannot recommend new Accufloat cables; hopefully the WallySkier ones will last many years -- they sure look well made and well designed.)

So after more than a month of open water, I finally got to run some buoys today. Lots of -28s with a nasty crosswind and 50 degree, raw air. But I'll take it!

Was an amusing mix of feeling easy combined with smacking into buoys and falling down due to horrible timing (and/or the crosswind).

• Baller

I hear ya. My first trip into the course was big wind, but it was ok at 28 to get bearings again. Next time better water for 28's, 32's and a 35. Since then have not had a dime of good water and have been hacking thru winds of all sorts at 28 and 32. Today whiffed a 32 for the first time this year as the wind increased pass by pass...one of those quartering head/tail/crossing winds where the chop just gets worse as you go down course. I don't usually blow tails out, but even though I was way ahead out of 4 lost the tail up the back of the chop at 5 ball and went down.

Hoping for some decent conditions soon where I can actually work on technical skill.

• Baller
@Than Bogan you should have waited a little while it warmed up although there was still some wind. Thanks for the work you and Mike did getting the course in. Matt, Ray, Barak and I all enjoyed it today.

• Baller
@ShaneH it wasn't that bad today it was about 60* when I skied and the water was in the low 50s. My son Matt skied with just a wetsuit top but he only skied 4 passes. I had a mostly dry suit and was very comfortable.

I hate it when the water gets too warm- right now our water is 72 which for me is perfect; warm enough to ski in trunks and cool enough to be refreshing between passes. I hate in August when I drop at the end of the course and feel like I just fell into a sweaty armpit. If I lived in Florida I would have to head north for the summer.

As a Cold Climate Canadian, I've probably got 30 sets in so far this year. 2 of which were in Canada. There's nothing like 80 degree water and we just so rarely get it here, we make a lot of road trips.

• Baller
@ShaneH -- we wouldn't be able to ski on your warm water -- our skis would keep digging holes in the water at the buoy! Get your *ss up north sometime and I'll let you borrow my drysuit so you can feel what cold water is all about!

• Baller
The water was up to almost 60* at 1 this afternoon and I got a great set in with 70* air and no wind. Unfortunately it is supposed to be in the 50s and raining the rest of the week. The weekend looks good though.