My wife won't let me take my ski on vacation ...

SkiJay

• Baller
We're going on a trip to Italy for some dumb wedding. So of course to my sweetheart, it's a perfect opportunity for a "romantic getaway." To me, what could possibly be more romantic than water skiing in springtime in the Italian Alps at the TGas family's ski utopia?! Am I missing something here?

I must have the best wife in the world. She had baby #3 1 week ago. Last night I offered to give her a break by taking the older 2 boys with me to ride in the boat out at the club while my partner and I attacked the course. She ended apologizing to me that she wasn't doing enough to help get the boat ready. I'm such a great husband that I'm taking the older boys out with me again today all day.

• Baller_
My wife would love to go to the wedding, actually she said that TG's would be #1 on her list! A trip to Rome would be #2 . . . great wife and she gives JTH the biz on his F1 hero.

• Baller
"Fabulous," I thought! @Ham_Wallace, you are brilliant! So I let her have it wit both barrels, "No skiing no shopping!" She didn't miss a beat, coming back with how "shopping on holidays makes her horny." CRAP! I'm way out of my league!

• Baller

Ooooooh yes she has @ShaneH. Sure it's okay that she's hot, and it's nice that she's a fabulous cook, my best friend, and all that other happy horse hooie, but the REAL ring through my nose is she's an excellent boat driver who likes driving more than skiing! I'm hooped!

It's looking more and more like I'm off to Italy on a tour of "yes dear" with a healthy helping of "that sure looks good on you, honey," while my ski gear gets all dried up, crispy and horrible. Sigh .....

• Baller

Problem: wedding trip it Italy, no skiing (pain factor 9.5/10)

Solution: Go to the wedding, smile, look dapper, hold the bags while shopping (and continue to smile), say things like "wow, that dress looks great on you, but try that red one as well" Then.... guys trip to Florida next winter.

I have had some success in similar (desperate) situations.

I cant believe youre beholden to your wife like that. Listen, you're the effin man here. Cowboy up and go without sex for a little while. Besides she'll just spend money shopping anyway. Im told by Korean women (who love designer clothing and $1000+ handbags and collect them like Pokemon) that handbags are 30% cheaper in Italy. Lay down the law. Your ski comes! You do your damn skiing! You skiing does not interfere with her day. Why should you ever compromise on what you want to do so long as it doesnt interfere with anyone else?

I'll tell you a quick story. My dad puts up with a lot of crap from my mom. WAY more than the average man. WAY MORE! Overall the relationship was full of compromises and ultimately both sides found a way to get their way, but I lost respect for the man when my mom said "Come up here and _______ or you arent getting any" I've never seen that fatass get up the stairs so fast in my life, and that guilty smile on his face.

Listen man, I like women and have put A LOT time and energy into understanding them, but dont be beholden to this woman if you're like a rolling stone and absolutely need some "satisfaction" then you should probably take things into your own hands.

• Baller

@Taelan28 Wow! I felt your pain man! The problem is that our passion often DOES interfere with those around us. I used to not let anything "interfere" with my racing back when I was winning championships ... I have a new wife now. @bmiller3536 hit the nail on the head; The ski stays home. Not because I'm whipped, but because I've found a really good woman who's crazy enough to love me, and that is worth treasuring and nurturing.

The over-riding lesson: Happy wife, happy life.

Another good lesson worth remembering: Never piss off your boat driver =)

• Baller

@Taelan28 Oh boy do you have a lot to learn in life. ;) I'm just giving Jay a hard time because I know I would do the same as him were I in his shoes. Mainly because I learned that doing the same as you suggested is not conducive to a happy relationship but very integral to a loss of a large part of my savings, retirement, and assets. hahahaha

And you can never understand them. No matter how much energy you put into it. LOL

• Baller
I'm leaving for Italy in a couple of hours ... without ski gear (sniffle sniffle). There's a chance we'll be passing by Cervia. If that happens I'll stop in for a visit for sure, Thomas!

• Baller

I would go the demo route. Make sure to do plenty of stuff the bride wants to do and I can't imagine she would begrudge you a ski ride or two.

@Brent that place near Rome looks awesome. Is it close enough to Rome to ski a set or two in the morning and do some tourist stuff the rest of the day?

• Baller

Thanks @Brent This is an awesome tip! This ski site is only an hour from where the wedding is!

Hmmmm, isn't this a bit like telling an alcoholic about a fabulous new bar that just opened right around the corner?