Going from Soft Shell to Hard Shell Bindings

petroaj

What have been you guys' experience with going from soft shell bindings to hard shell bindings, generally speaking. I know boots like the Strada and such can be classified in the middle.

Today I went from Wiley's wraps, which I've been using for years now, to the HO Exos on my Radar ski. It felt like I was on a completely different ski! Any experiences or information on the adjustment process would be greatly appreciated and I am sure would be beneficial to many more readers out there as well! Thank you!

• Baller
You'll probably be moving back a little. Your edge control will seem skittish and the ski jumpy, like you're on and off edge real quick. Once you get used to it (4-5 sets), you'll like how much more power you can put into the pull when you need it. You'll be moving back because the force that you can put on the ski is greater-they don't give as much and so your movements translate to the ski easier and are amplified a little bit.

• Baller

Wiley's to hard shells is a pretty radical change! Those are about as far apart in feel as bindings can get.

For me personally, hard shells did not work out. I gave them an entire season because there were things I liked, but I was never able to get past the inconsistency.

My personal favorite binding for edge control without TOO much edge control is the D3 T-Factor.

I went to Goode Powershells in December 2011. I tried stradas, didnt like em; too loose. It's taken me more like 20 - 30 sets to get used to them. Even now I sometimes get on the back foot and mess up a pass. But, my rear foot injury does not bother me in the PS's. So I've had to get to like em. Give it 20 sets. If you're still not sure - dump em. Without the injury I'd go Reflex front and Wiley or other rubber rear.

• Baller_
Went from old rubber bindings to hard-shells in 2001. Very hard to get used to but I knew that was gonna be a trend. Kept up with them for a season and would not consider going back. It does take a while and may even change where you put the boots on the ski. So experiment with placement and realize you may have to take two steps back to make 10 steps forward.

• Baller
When I went from rubber to the Goode hardshells. It took more time setting them up than I thought, placement, rotation, figuring out velcro etc. The one thing that helped in the beginning was leaving the rear buckle a little loose. As I got more used to them I tightened it up more. Hope this helps.

• Baller
Went from Animal FB with RTP to Fluid Motion E-series FB with RTP about 5 years ago. I felt like it was pretty smooth transition in general. My Animal binding was pretty tight; that may have had something to do with the transition being a little easier. The range of motion (stiffness), both front to back and side to side, from the ankle upwards is was pretty similar to the Animal. I think the biggest difference is the security of the foot from the ankle down. I think this is what translates into better connection to the ski and the challange with sensitivity to skier input on edge control.

• Baller
Going to hard shells was like getting an adjutable fin box back in the 80's. There is a huge learning curve due to the vast adjustability. It usually takes quite some time to find your personel setup unless you're totally normal, or is that abnormal ?

I went from double Wileys to T-Factor last season. Huge improvement right away. Went back to the double wileys for a few sets and felt like i was trying to play marble madness on the ski. it was all over the place.

• Baller

@TWB Nope, never had calf cramping. My foot was a little cramped in the front at first, which seems to be a common complaint -- but just like people told me it would, that disappeared after a few sets.

My only issue now is I'd like the tongue rubber of the front binding to be a little wider or the gap between the "hard" sides to be a little narrower. The sides and tongue barely overlap until pretty tight, which can be a little inconvenient for getting them on properly.

Still love 'em though.

Edge control increases immensely verses rubber. The same lean ='s more edge, so you need to throttle back a bit. Free ski a while to get the feel of what they'll do. Once you're use to them, you'll never go back. The set-up is a bit tricky because of the measurement differences, but if you spot your ankle bone position and match that point you'll be fine.

• Baller
I went to reflex hard shell in the 90's with rubber rear. My sking improved when I went to Goode hardshells with rear heal lifts spring. 2 pros told me no on this set up. By being able to lift my rear heal I get more tip pressure. I have found that if you are good at staying over your feet in a stacked position you will love hardshells. If you move forward and back on the ski rubber works well because it does dont transfer the energy as efficiently to the ski. I would never even consider going back to rubber. I can ski 20 plus passes on hardshells, and do quite often in june- Jul when getting into optimal ski condition. I can't imagine that in the vice rubber. In my hard shells I can tighten them, get increible edge control, be in comfort for over a half hour.

Thank you guys for all the input! I've had 3 sets on them so far and have come a long way from the beginning. I am beginning to like them however still getting used to the major increase in response and efficiency. Look forward to the transition journey!