How not to take care of your boat!!!

Jody_Seal

• Baller_

Thought I would pass on a few photos of some very bad boat owners boats. Some people should not be allowed to own boats! but then again I would be out of business!

f83b089eca51e2d980a94193c489aa.jpg

Start with this one, Owner (salt water boat) refused to flush his engine and manifolds rusted up to the extent very little water flow thru exhaust.

1f31097f9529f94fa97a9975e65b03.jpg

This one speaks for itself, was in a six liter v-drive boat got almost 2 hours in removal labor time.

59e5471bdbc34d3ed4b12f3e2946ec.jpg

You want me to detail this???

Next time you get a high repair bill think about how your taking care of your boat and how these owners took care of theirs. Be glad you don't have their service bills!!!

FWIW - I spray down my motor with PB Blaster upon commissioning, about once a month, and every layup. After starting that, I have never had a corroded fastener or electrical connection. It makes regular maintenance and the occasional repair very easy. The motor looks great, too.

• Baller
My engine is not quite that clean but close. I need to get some CLR to clean it up a bit. I always pull the plug and open the engine cover after the boat is back up on the lift. Keeping the bilge dry prevents alot of expensive headaches.. I am close to 1600 hours on my boat. I detailed a boat that looked worse than the one above. It took me 22 hours..

• Baller
There's a guy who lives near me who is without a doubt the most neglecting owner out there. When he buys a new (and I mean brand new) boat, it sits at his dock, in the water and uncovered. He simply wants to jump in and go when he wants to ski, without removing covers or lowering from a lift. Once the boat is too beat, he just buys another one. It's sick, plus he doesn't treat the motor any differently. The last time I saw his boat, there was a layer of moss on the platform and the interior was basically disintegrated.

• Baller

Quit making fun of me! That dirt is a protective coating. An acid wash and the gelcoat looks perfect (actually I am serious on that score). Manifolds and starters are consumable items. I'm not sure I would make minimum wage in increased value or decreased repairs with excessive washing, flushing and tuning.

All I want to do is hop in the boat and ski. I don't enjoy cleaning or doing anal maintenence on boats. (Perhaps I do enjoy drilling holes in them - but that's different). A boat is a tool to get me skiing. Nothing more. By the way, I am unable to sell any of my old boats. But I still have more lakes than boats (I am diseased).

Eric

• Baller_
I am pretty sure the manufacturers, parts sellers and service industry love these customers. . . as long as they are repeat customers adn stay with it. Trade in is one way to get the oil changed.

• Baller
Jody, an unamed ski school was getting Nautiques from Mueller. He got a 230 back from them at the start of the year and when we were looking at it realized there was corrosion everywhere. Plus the board racks were broken off the tower. AND the 6.0 engine was locked up. We started looking and it turns out they'd managed to half sink it and left it for who knows how long. Then when it wouldn't start they replaced the starter with an automotive one and when it still wouldn't start, they turned it back in to the dealership. They swear they didn't change the starter or know that it'd been sunk. Right! That starter just hopped on there by itself! lol Now THAT is how not to take care of a $95k boat that you're getting for nothing. Total cost to fix it was $10k.

• Baller_
Seen it Been their to witness it and have repaired many abused and un loved boats! What is funny is that when you catch or bring these abuses to the attention of the owner they commonly deny neglect and then whine like hell when they get their bill.

• Baller_

Of course their are more by the week!

446f813fdb9532e9cf631f7adecdf2.jpg

This is a 07 salt water six liter motor. What you are looking at is a overheated motor that "sucked" water as it cooled down. Not a problem that can not be remidied until you don't address the situation until six months later!

Last year I left my brand spanking new SN 200 in the water for a month at a lake closer to home . Much to my dismay, I discovered blistering on the bow (taken care of by CC).

Usually I keep the boat on a lift, but that is 3 hours north of me. My options are:

1. Try it again this year and hope for the best.

2. Trailer it from a secured lot a half mile from the lake each time. The downside is that while it would have a mooring cover, it still would be outside.

3. Keep the boat on the shorestation at my lake that is 3 hours north of where I live and get a lot less time on the water.

• Baller

Blisters? "Maybe get a blister on your thumb." Just go ski. Unless your hands are blistered and bleeding, blisters on your boat will not affect your skiing. Unless you miss a bunch of great days to get the blisters repaired. I don't even have a trailer to take my boat to collect on a warranty repair.

To all you boat polishers, I will kick your ass in tournament and buy your boat to run into the ground to make me ski better! Yes I will spend more on boat depreciation but I will also spend more on gas. And get lots more hours on the water. Besides Jody can fix anything.

That's just dreaming. I'm too old to rack up hours. Nobody will ski with me (now that Kirk is off to college). People still say my boat is nice. What happened?

Eric

Maybe this one is just well equipped for the next outing.....

d40593d78e13e740c315e65aa4d59d.jpg

Notice the lounge chair & bit of firewood for in case it gets cool.

9dee08bdaab84e4adc60292a8b244b.jpg

f07486a8952f6c1b9e682061e478c8.jpg

Who would know what the grass on the fore shores could be like so it would make sense to bring the mower to tidy the grass a bit.

778e75ff45b59b4808151e5c6d4f37.jpg

This is one my old man sold back in the '70's. It was originally a Volero Half Cabin. The original owners son cut it down to a runabout, about 15 to 20 years down the track.

Cheers

Phil

PS. Here's an original.

2c6f094d72fde1b51378fe6a8ad492.jpg

• Baller_

Yea but Mr. Jody I all way's flush my boat after every use!! (coming from a Malibu owner that utilizes his boat in the salt water).

I have a few customers that utilize their ski boats in the salt water. Most are very anal about flushing and keeping the ocean on the outside!

7f6d963a22f55f8052540136f0b577.jpg

These manifolds are less than 24 months old!

9122c57a80e8de75847ac26a019d3d.jpg

This is a screw driver sticking through the big rotted out hole at the water passage block off in the intake.

1d19619fb137c6f341892f63954d42.jpg

Of course this is where all the salt water went coming out of the hole in the intake!

These are kind-A- like the Cancer commercials you see on the tube!

• Baller

Jody - The first picture you show is a fiberglass elbow after the swirlers have been gunked up.

( I think.)

That happened to mine this year but I use mine in saltwater and it took eleven years because I am fairly anal about flushing and maintenance in general.

Next spring I will take a wire brush to the swirlers at the begining of the season so that the water is thoroughly mixed with the exhaust so that those parts stay cool...

Saltwater is amazingly tough on these boats but Saltaway soap flushes can really help minimize the problems.

I can show you 100 year old Chris Crafts used up on Lake Placid that look better than boats around here after 6 months use....

It looks as though some of those other problems might have been avoided by using & maintaining sacrificial zinks on the block & manifold...

• Baller_

More dumb ass things owners due to their boats.. lip82dizts9r.jpg owner could not figure out where all the water was coming from!! vvrvic3guknk.jpg

Then found a lot of ugly including a galled spark plug hole.

Owner claimed it ran great

!!yebvb09jgz4u.jpg

Then I found that!! Those of you that know Holley's know it needs a proper base gasket!

• Baller
Recently purchased a project boat that spent 7 years as a ski school boat and has the hours to prove it. Planning to do a repower and replace the upholstery and seadek. It will be a very nice, inexpensive 6.0L SN 200 when I'm done. Just don't look too close at the gelcoat :smile:.

• Baller

Yeah, that would not be my approach. My engine in my new to me older Response is not quite that shiny, but just about that clean. The prior owner was meticulous. I am starting my spring projects to do the same. May clean up the plastics and such in the engine bay to make it look as nice. It is a 1998, so is closing in on its 20th season. I have some other miscellaneous cosmetic projects, nothing major, as the prior owner was really good about stuff. But to make it my own this year. I have a thread on the stuff I am doing.

esd8ii2tpv2d.jpg

@eleeski , that quote seems nearly a Violent Femmes reference. ;)

@Jody_Seal , I was originally a salt water guy, with a Navy captain father. So that is why my decks are always swabbed, and my engine always flushed. Not that I need to flush in the driveway anymore after skiing. The water where I ski now is very clean fresh. The the sun protection, and regular maintenance, spit and polish, goldfish cracker vacuuming, and etc. still needs to happen.

• Baller
Jody, I feel your pain on that one. Years ago I had a stainless nut gall on a stainless shaft (factory installed Supreme in the 80's). I ended up dropping the rudder pulling the shaft, chucking it up in a lathe and slowly taking material off the nut until I got to the threads and could peel them out. I always swapped the stainless nuts out after that anytime I took them off.