New Slalom Skiers....How many have you pulled?

• Baller

College kids are so much fun! There's always a first timer and it's rare not to have a PB. Watching the improvement over the years is great. Once a trouble getting up skier ended his college career with an Allstars medal! Some of these kids end up as our judges, drivers and lake members.

Juniors rock too!

Eric

Well I don't have a slalom course but many new skiers. Some that did not even know how to swim! One of my ski partners has a lot of Chines engineers come over for work and we have got many up on skis. Its fun to see the face on a grown person skiing and many times the firs time they have been in water other then a pool or tub. One we got up he went around the lake yelling at the top of his lungs "I flying I flying". The one thing common with them, none want to let go after falling. We half to work with them to let them know we will come back and pick them up.

• Baller_
2. But truly wish I had the oppertunity to do more. I get more enjoyment out of teaching people to ski for the first time or run that full pass at whatever speed. Said once, will say it agian. Boat, tens of thousands, lakefront home, houndreds of thousands.... seeing the look on the face of the skier running six the first time or just getting up and skiing - truly priceless.

• Baller

But this question seems a bit over-simplified. I had 3 new successful deep-water starts and 1 unsuccessful (so far!). And over the last few years our club has expanded from at most 4 tournament participants to as many as 11.

So if the underlying point of the question is to demonstrate a trend, I think the more detailed numbers are a lot more telling than the literal answer to this question.

• Baller
Too many to count. How many people did you teach to show ski @behindpropellers. I'm in a city of more than 5 million and yet to see a ski show around here??? What's the hold up???

@OB I quit our show ski team 4 years ago and started the club we run now which makes it possible to have a slalom course on our lake. Our club taught about 30 kids to ski last year with our Sea Scouts program. We took about 12 people through the course who had never had the chance. I taught 4 people front barefoot and 3 back barefoot.

@OB I do know one show skier in Atlanta if you want to learn how to swivel ski.

Why don't you answer my question? Too many to count? So you took over 30 people through the slalom course who had never had the chance?

Most people are saying how many they taught how to ski....my question has nothing to do with teaching waterskiing, its about making slalom courses accessible.

• Baller

@behindpropellers On the contrary, the question of slalom course accessibility is deeply related to teaching people how to waterski. The course I ski is open to the public during all daylight hours, so accessibility is a non-issue. The issue is whether anyone has the necessary skills to actually use it!

While this is not literally true of private sites, I can't imagine very many people on this forum are teaching folks to ski on some lake that doesn't have a slalom course.

Your attitude seems strange. So OB lost count. You don't exactly have to report on your taxes the exact number of people you pulled through a slalom course for the first time...

• Baller_
Could not agree more. I had a low level instructors rating many years ago (30) since then have introduced at least 3-4 skiers a year to the slalom course and have taught far to many to count how to slalom, trick and jump. A few that have gone on to waterski greatness.

• Baller
@behindpropellers On the contrary, the question of slalom course accessibility is deeply related to teaching people how to waterski. The course I ski is open to the public during all daylight hours, so accessibility is a non-issue. The issue is whether anyone has the necessary skills to actually use it!

Nate,

Not sure where you are from but in Ohio there are a handful of public courses and the rest are private. Accessibility is an issue here. There are plenty of lakes here and plenty of waterskiers. I don't think there are plenty of "ballers".

• Baller
2 course newbies last year, also about 20 first time skiers and boarders last year. Every year, we host a day of skiing for local scouts who want to try and earn their watersports badge.