99 Malibu Sunsetter wake

gregy

• Baller
I was looking for an open bow boat. I was thinking Malibu Response around a 2000 year. I ran across a nice low hour 99 Sunsetter Lxi. Is the wake decent for slalom or should I keep look for a Response? Anybody with first hand knowledge of both boats?

@gregy what line length and speed? I've skied behind a sunsetter of that era and a 2008 lxi- night and day difference at -15 28-30. The guy who owns it skis -15 34 and actively seeks out other boats to ski behind. Sunsetter might be more skiable at faster speed and shorter rope-not sure. would rec ski before you buy (says the guy who bought a boat site unseen from California)

99 ss lxi I ski one @ 36mph the wake is very good. We are running shorter line 15 to 35 off

I have skied it at 34mph and still liked it. At 36 and 35 off I don't think I could tell the difference between my R lxi and the SS lxi. 99 was the first year for the Diamond hull, I think through 2004.

• Baller

I'm a 15 off skier right now (34 mph age group). Hope to get better this summer, we'll see. I was also thinking about a 90's Prostart 205, I ski behind a 93 regularly and other than spray issues the wake is nice. I remember hearing some of the late 90's Prostar 205 had really bad wakes. Anybody know what years to avoid.

Thanks for the replies, Greg

• Baller
@gregory -- yeah avoid all PS 205's.. they have horrible 15 off wakes. I got stuck at some tourneys in the 90's with a few 205s... like trying to ski behind the titanic. Slalom wake was like knee high.. (or maybe it just felt that way) in any case, when ever I see PS 205, I think blown openers. Never met a Nautique I didn't like.

• Baller
After Reading Crashman's thread. I back to thinking 2000 range Response again. I did see an Open Bow Nautique 196 before. Not sure what years they were made? I think it had a step-over like the response.