What some skiers do as second sport

GregDavis

• Baller
Same as 6balls, except my bench press has always sucked due to two surgically repaired shoulders (rotor cuffs). Second sport, seriously? Don't get to devote the time I'd like to to this one and damn sure couldn't afford another one anywhere near what this one requires.

• Baller

I used to play squash and ski in the winter plus play some golf in the summer. Now I go to the gym, play a little hockey and chase my kids around. We still ski some but my kids skate in the winter so it impacts the skiing.

@skidawg, from a commercial beer standpoint, the answer is whatever's in my glass---lots of craft beer and imports.

From a brewing standpoint, I tend to do a lot of the German styles since what we get in the U.S. from Germany is so oxidized and poorly handled that it tastes little like what would were it fresh. So I do lots of Helles, Pilsner, Hefeweizen, Dunkelweizen, Schwarzbier, Dortmunder, Dunkel and Kolsch. But I also mix things up with some American Pale Ales, West Coast IPAs, American Brown Ales, etc. Next month, I may do a Saison, which would be my first Belgian style. We always have two on tap at the house.

100_2089.JPG

• Baller
@Texas6 that I know. I have been rowing competitively for 8 years now. My boat was ranked in top 15 nationally and top 3 regionally in our event for 4 years in High School. Skiing took a back seat to rowing during that time. Its switched now but I still coach high/middle/ and adult rowing daily. I'm always on the water.

• Baller_

@east tx skier You need to come over to Cottonwood and bring some of that brew with. Dawg and I will give it a go.

@Wolfeie How much does an hour of Ice cost in the land of the left? Have they banned Zambonies out there yet?

• Baller
In addition to snow skiing up here in the frozen north, we ice boat. An ice boat is a sail boat set up with steel runners for the ice. What I love about it is that ice boating fills that need for speed like slaloming. 60mph laying on your back 6" above the ice makes waiting for the ice to melt a whole lot easier!

• Baller
@chef23 It was almost 90 degrees that day. I wanted to bring my ski for a set after the race. As it turns out, skiing was out of the question since basic walking was a struggle for three days.

• Baller
I like cycling. Most of the roads a mile from my driveway have biker lanes and lots of groups to connect with around town. Better bring your A+ game depending on who you ride with. Similar to skiing in that it can be competitive, is social and the gadgets are interesting. Oh yeah, I don't shave my legs, I still ride my training wheels and keep up good:)