Celebrity water skiers?

jcamp

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

ala Bob Lapoint in the Great Outdoors.....

I have seen the Branson photo before, didn't think it would make it pass the "Hammer" Horton, you know this is a family channel.... Is there a guy in that photo?

• Baller

Not to name drop, but here goes.... While working as a stuntman on a few movies that included waterskiing, Meatballs III, I took Shannon Tweed for a ride under our parasail and took Patrick Dempsey for a ski behind my '76 Nautique!

I also can confirm that mike Babcock is a pretty good slalom skier hitting -15, and -22 off.

• Baller
Ralph Krueger, head coach of the Edmonton Oilers is Geena Krueger's, a fellow pro from Germany, dad. Had a long conversation with him at the Malibu Open over a few (maybe more) beers about hockey. He said in the off season he would always ski. It was awesome, caught me off guard when he said he was the head coach of the Oilers.

• Administrators

Famous people I have met in my life time on a ski dock:

Angie Everhart

Olivia Newton John

Dyan Cannon

Glen Plake

Stan Lee :-)

A bunch of music producers including Ross Robinson

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_
I was watching a documentary this week on on Disney+ called "The Real Right Stuff". It's archival footage, interviews, news features, etc. about the original Mercury 7 astronauts and is narrated by Tom Wolfe (who wrote "The Right Stuff"). There are a couple of scenes with the astronauts water skiing. I'd have to go back and look at which ones skied, but at least Alan Shepard and John Glenn did. There was also an interview portion in the film with Alan Shepard where he mentions his interest and enjoyment in water skiing.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I use to rent the house one down from Romney in Wolfeboro NH. Funny story when he

was running for president a friend who was staying with us saw one of his security guys

hiding behind a tree as he was heading out for coffee and asked if he wanted some. The

guy says I would love some but I can't, thanks but if you pretended you never saw me

it would be better for me.

• Baller
There were a couple from my college years. Landon Lueck skied for Wisconsin Madison (a 100ft jumper) and was on The Real World: Philadelphia (2004ish). Jud Birza, a very good skier for Missouri, was the winner of Survivor: Nicaragua. He was a semi-famous model for some time.

• Baller
I once taught Barry Tubb (Wolfman Top Gun, Jasper Lonesome Dove) and his girlfriend at the time, Alexandra Paul (Baywatch, the Virgin Connie Swell in Dragnet) how to ski on Lake McQueeney during a film break for Lonesome Dove. They were both really nice but she wanted to skip two skis and go straight to slalom. We had some fun getting them going!

• Baller

Mike Doleac who played in the NBA is a water skier. He skied at our lake a few years back.

As I recall, he bought a CC 200 from one of our lake owners and even bought a summer membership at SunTen but I do not believe he used it. He played in college for the University of Utah and played in the NCAA finals in the late 90's. He was drafted 12th in the first round of the draft. After he retired from the NBA he moved back to Utah. Last I heard he was teaching physics and was the basketball coach at Park City High School. I have heard that he water skis on the local mountain lakes with his 200.

• Baller

Mitt Romney and his family do have a place on Lake Winnipesaukee as mentioned earlier. He's got a 3 bay boathouse on South Bay. He was a member of the Abenaki Ski Club based in Back Bay, Wolfeboro NH. There is what appears to be a Malibu parked in it. Back Bay was an alternate ski site for Jamie Beauchesne.

• Baller_

Mark Beretta comes to mind. Who is Mark Beretta? Mark is a Australian sports news journalist. Mark is with the major Australian TV network.

Mark at one time was a open level 3 eventer.

I worked with him many a Sunday morning on the yarra doing the sunrise Sunday morning show before the moomba events.

Remember pulling him off the dock on a trick ski doing a lead-in. Great person, and one of Australia's great skiers.

• Administrators
@Jody_Seal I am pretty sure that Mark's broadcasting career started as the Moomba announcer. He spent a summer at Horton Lake Ski School in the mid 1980s. Funny times.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Jamie Whincup. Maybe I'm mis-remembering this and some of the Ozzie ballers on BOS can add to this, but I remember Jamie Whincup skiing in a slalom course for the first time in Korowa, NSW at a site just off the Murray River and running 22off. This was in the early 2000s and was hard to believe. At the time, Jamie was maybe 19 and had just been signed to race the V8 Supercars in Australia. Since then, he's had 122 V8 Supercar wins and won the Drivers' Championship 7 times. Proof that race drivers are indeed real athletes. Downunder, Jamie is quite well known admired.