SG Factory Reset

501Brandon

Anybody else every have a reset of the Perfect Pass Module? It happened to us today between sets, its not the first time (maybe 2 other times). After restarting the boat it asks for Hours and then on to CAL mode... The crappy thing is before the reset everything was reall dialed in with the Z box and we were not experiencing any over runs heading in to the course, now we may be consistant with what everyone else is seeing "a little hot into the gates"... I went through CAL and then back to Z Box and the times are good but it seems like we might be 34.8-35 at the 55's...

• Baller
I don't have Z-box but I have had my SG do the out-of-the-blue global reset thing twice now. No apparent reason for it, just happens. After the last time I went through and made SURE I had all of my settings written down so I didn't have to go through the whole tweaking thing again. Definitely a piss off, not sure what to do about it except to make sure I have it all written down and the info in the boat so I can reprogram and roll on.

• Baller
I've had SG in my boat for 6 years now and never had this happen. Planning to put in the zbox this weekend. Skied with @6balls yesterday with my boat. Oddly, I'm having a hard time thinking how zbox could make the boat pull any better. My SG is so perfectly dialed in.

• Baller

Boy my boat is anything but dialed in :-(

I seem to have the most problems with it when I spin at the ends, as opposed to sit down at the ends. Its overshooting its speed, and I've already taken out 200 rpms out of the speed. If the PP starts timing or is engaged, how do I cancel it without pulling down on the throttle? Just hit system off? Tried the down arrow, didn't work. Seems much better with A1 last night than b2, b2 was actually pretty radical in its speed through the course.

• Baller

@Jim Neely

SG is a better pull without Zbox. You may end up like us, selecting SG on the Zbox

It is my understanding that many people preferred the pull of SG when compared to Zero Off. Whether this was due to a lack of experience with Zero, or that Zero is actually a tougher pull than SG is uncertain. In any event, I thought the point of ZBox was to mimic the pull that Zero Off provided, and allow folks with SG equipped boats to prepare for what they would see at tournaments.

Since you mentioned you just ski in the SG mode of ZBox, do you do this because you think the A-C settings are not representative of what Zero Off provides, or is there other logic? Also, what do you mean by "better pull"? Is a "better pull" the one that is easiest to ski behind, is most representative of Zero Off, offers the most consistent average speed through the course, or is there some other criteria?

@Onside135 You make some valid points.

When I said "better" I was responding to RazorSkier1's comment "I'm having a hard time thinking how zbox could make the boat pull any better. My SG is so perfectly dialed in."

I find Stargazer easier to ski behind. The pull is more consistent, less reving of the engine, fewer surprises, etc. I ski pretty well with A1, B1, and C1 with the Zbox or Zero-off but will choose SG mode this afternoon. As I get close to a tournament I will pick a z-setting in the hope that it will help me ski better at the tournament.

I'm not completely convinced that the z-box settings are representative of the zero-off settings based on what I hear and feel when I'm driving. Perhaps we just haven't got it dialed in yet. There are a number of variables to adjust and the combinations would be in the 100s. There is even a variable to adjust when C, B, A react so that C would become B, B would become A and A would become whatever is beyond A.

The buoy times we get with SG are just as good as the ones we get with Z-box

• Baller

@Jim Neely...Thanks for the response. So far, I feel that SG is a little easier to ski behind too, but I continue to ski with ZBox, hoping that eventually I'll be a better skier for it and perform better in tournaments with ZO boats. Though I don't know all that went into the decision to make ZO the sanctioned cruise control, I would have thought any system that makes buoy times within certain tolerances would suffice.

For me at least...SG seems to spread out the engine response to the skier's pull over a longer period of time, which will result in wider range of indicated speeds throughout the course, but as long as it makes buoy times within certain allowable ranges, what is the problem?

• Baller
Never got my SG to run good times, was always hot 1st segment, with the z-box, that has gone away.. but now im just come in hot to 1 if I dont watch it, or leave it on in the turn. setting my CR/CS to 1500 was a huge help in the "not engaging" issues I had.

• Baller

Bad, slow... I ran good times about 75% of the time, despite running baselines.

with the z-box, I never get bad times anymore. Awesome. And the 3 ball to end gate zoom is gone. now I'm just hot on my gates/pregates and by it hits 1 ball its on. This has gotten better with better driving. Don't understand that. In a ZO boat, you drop it to the floor, I'm DBW, but if I do that I'm way hot. By pulling up easy, and not over throttling, i'm good.