Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Gates and the turn in

501Brandon

I know there have been several topics on this and the interpretation quite different in a lot of cases from skier to skier. I feel like I have always had a pretty good approach by getting up on the boat and having a "controlled and progressive turn in" to the gate... I have also heard the term "Hammering the gate" used a lot. I know that each skiers apporach to this will vary pending their individual style but to my curiousity I have to wonder if turning in and digging deep to try and gain as much angle and speed as you can somehow puts you just a little out of control. Where as being in control with with the same angle yet not fighting for speed will accomplish more would it not? Would it be safer to say that embracing the speed you gain by being in control is better than digging in and hammering the gate?

(EDIT: I am sure it will change a bit as the rope gets shorter but for the -15thru -28 guys is what I am kinda curious about)

• Baller

A plethora of counsel exists on this topic.

Rossi’s Article on Gates remains a good read upon which to re-focus.

“Core Connection” also ties in imo; establish a balanced stance with a solid core connection prior to edge out & maintain it all the way into the apex (high up on the boat) thus creating an effective “dynamic” extension or reach. Slide the right hip into the stacked position all the way in a continual motion past the RHGB; maintain the core connection with the handle, keep the back (right) shoulder low to maintain out bound direction, counter/reach.

• Baller

I think that applies even more at shorter lines. I don't think too many skiers want to hammer gates these days.

The proper angle and speed at the gate, to me, seem incredibly important at -38. Last fall a bunch of us that are stuck at deep 38 (maybe with a rare completion) were posting about the wider start, slower turnin, and then a corresponding LESS "hammering" gate. Seemed like we were all working on learning how to get the right speed as opposed to the most possible speed.

• Baller
I am a 22 off to 35 off skier and I don't think you want to "hammer" it anywhere. I think you want to get a good smooth turn in, get good angle and body position and hold strong behind the boat. I believ thinking hammer it gets you on the pull too soon and messes up the rhythm.

I think a hammer is better for hitting a nail in the wood or your finger! I rather be smooth and consistent. Watch the recent video here of Mapple skiing from 28 to 38 off the only difference from long to short is just a little more angle at the gate but he's so... smooth.

• Baller

Yeah, "hammering the gates" results in a warp 9 one ball, and you cant dump off the speed in time for the turn, your already late for 2. You want to go nice and early, and at a moderate to strong, but not excessive pull.

• Baller
Was talking about this with @6balls yesterday. Second day in the course, and I always pull too hard to start the season. I was turning in and when I got to the right side gate ball I was hitting the boat with a real load. Running passes, but they didn't feel right. Decided two things. One, keep head and shoulders up and level -- it tends to keep you from pulling too hard. Two, I think of the right gate ball as the place where I should be coming up, not digging in and going down. If I think about coming up at the right hand gate ball, and then do that at the second wake all the way down the lake, skiing is so much easier, more consistent, and more fun.