performance

• Baller

Some times when I ski , I fell disconected from the ski.

My weight goes back on the ski and I start to fight with the boat , needless to say that my buoy count goes to one lenth before .

I dont know if is related to rollers or not.( cause with rollers I have the bad habit to stay back on the ski not to have a front fall)

Do your balance change from one day to another too ?

• Baller
I've had a problem with shifting my weight to the back foot. When I fall back I may as well kiss the pass goodbye. What I think my problem has been is that my rear binding has been too far back. So I've moved them closer together but haven't been able to try this yet due to work obligations. I hope this is the answer. It only makes sense that if your feet are closer together that you'd have a better chance to have an equal distribution of weight to both feet. Hope to find out soon!

@StevenHaines It will also mean that when you do mess up your body position and stand on your back foot, the centre of pressure will be slightly further from the rear of the ski. So hopefully the ski will still complete the turn.

• Baller

Two barely-related thoughts come to mind:

1) It's amazing how different one slalom set can be from the next. Sometimes you just have to say "not my day" and move on. Otherwise an off day can turn into a pattern because you're thinking too much.

2) If you are "seeking" to forward and back stances on a regular basis, the first thing to look for is too much lower body stiffness (solution: soften knees) or other problems with your stacked position (such as bent arms or bent at the waist). But if you're standing about right behind the boat, then I think the culprit is very likely the position of your bindings. Oddly enough, any of too much spacing between them, too far forward, or too far back can cause this symptom. People often assume they need to move the boots forward if they are getting on the tail, but I've seen that the human body is really good at drastically over-compensating, and so it's possible this can also result from the boots being too far forward -- especially if sometimes you feel OK and other times you lurch to the tail of the ski.

For a boot position change, I'd expect it to feel better almost immediately if it's the right change. (Does that match other's experience? Most of my experience here is from advising and observising others; my own boots rarely move from factory.)

• Baller
I find that when I go to the back foot the turn stalls which causes me to loose space in front of the next buoy so then I have to really hog down behind the boat to catch back up which is no way to ski. I had FM Quatros (which I think is an excellant binding) that I've now realized that the shells were too large. With the larger shell, I ended up with my feet too far apart. I've now modified those shells and mounted them on a Radar Sequence plate (excellant design!!!) and copied the Strada boot release and am able to bring my spacing back to where I think it truely should be. I'm hoping this will help me be more balanced at the finish of the turn.

• Baller
When I really got to looking at my bindings and figuring out where my toe was in relation to my heel, I found that I had about a 1.5" space between the two. It's funny though, I skied with them that way for two seasons and over that time period I upped my buoy count by six buoys. But looking back I remember fighting this tendency. I believe that skiing this way is the cause of a major back injury that has taken me two seasons to recover from. The first season I was unable to ski or do anything strenuous. I thank God and Dave Goode that I'm able to participate again!

• Baller_

@stevenhaines - my strada boots are actually touching, in fact the rear boot has a dent in the big toe area from pressing up against the heel of the front boot. keep your feet close together and you won't have the tendancy to "wheelie"

if you get back on your ski

• Baller
Richard, presently there is a 1/4" -3/8" space between my big toe and heel. I haven't had a chance to try that yet. I think I'm going to move it to what youve suggested before i ski next as it seems to make more sense to have your legs work together as a unit. I'm sure that where they are now would be a huge improvement over where they were before. I was going to do that when I last moved them but re drilling the holes in the sole of the boot required more time than was available.