skiing with a tailwind

crashman

can you point me toward a good article or share with me some very basic tips regarding how to deal with a tailwind? I'm getting better and better- as long as there is no wind or a slight headwind, but I'm looking for some good solid adjustments to make when the wind is at my back. I've asked around at the club and I know this is an "age old" question but I appreciate your input. I'm looking for that next "ah-ha" moment. Thanks!

• Baller
Back in the old days when I pulled too hard and too long I loved a headwind and hated the tail. Now that I lean less hard and keep connected to the handle better I love the tailwind and hate the head!!! In the tail as long as you "stay away from the boat", meaning stay on your line with good handle tension, you are wide, early, and easy.

• Baller

Lots of good advice above. I'll echo patience as my key. It does no good to turn back into a slack rope, and the tail means you can make up ground behind the boat. Even if you do lose "connection" you can still run a tailwind pass feeling verrry late if you remain patient and don't force turns before their time.

Also, i'm not sure exactly why but I find I need a lot more leg strength for tailwind runs and so they seem superhard in the early season while building waterski-specific muscles.

• Baller
One of the best tips that Mueller has given me is in regards to the pullout for a headwind/tailwind condition. He says that the set up there is what will dictate the rest of the pass. That if you get a good release into one, the rest of the pass will be fine no matter what the wind. He told me that instead of adjusting where you pull out, adjust how you roll up out of the move out. So in a tailwind, roll the ski up slowly into it's glide. But in a headwind, snap the ski up. The snap up will offset the headwind pressure against you. And the slow roll up will do the exact opposite. I'm finding it's only in extreme headwind/tailwind conditions now where I need to move the point where I make my move out.