Misconceptions: Outbound Direction By Brooks Wilson

Horton

• Administrators

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/stories/tile(1).jpg

As a skier moves off the second wake, it opens up a world of possibilities as to what line he can take into the bouy. I generally see people rush toward the buoy off the second wake, forcing them inside and down course before they can turn. This led me to write some articles talking about carrying direction away from the boat off the second wake. I want to take this time to dig a little deeper into that concept and see how that direction should be carried. As you exit the wake, maintain the connection between your hips and hands as you begin to move over your front foot. This move should be driven by your core and not your shoulders. Think about the line your handle would take if it stayed tight and moved up the boat into the turn. That's the same line that you as a skier want to take. If you try to take more direction than the boat will allow, you will experience an extreme disconnect between your lower and upper body. Forcing your feet outbound without your body results in long drawn out turns that make becoming connected again difficult. By staying in an in-line, shoulders over hips over feet, position you allow yourself to be in control of the moves you make. Maintaining that connection is what gives you the strength to control exactly how much direction off the second wake you want. Don't come off the second wake and push your ski outbound thinking that's what gives you momentum outward. The outward momentum comes from moving everything together at the same time in the same direction. It all starts with the hips and hands connection off the second wake and works towards moving everything together over your front foot and into the turn. The key here is to ski an attainable line that puts you in the best position to carry speed through the turn. The more balanced and in control you are on your ski is what makes this possible. Making these moves fluid is key. All moves should be linked together in seamless fashion.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators
Brooks totally busted me tonight. He asked if I had read is pending article. Hmm yea sure of course I read it... oooppps. I read it and here it is. think this is good stuff.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can