Matt Brown on S2

Horton

• Baller
To me, it looks like he has a "pump" going into 246 as he is earlier and wider. He is pulling a little longer into 135 and turning sharper without the "pump" under the line, so that is why it is bowing.

• Baller
Problem is, guys like Matt Brown can ski just about anything at 32, 35 and make it look real good...for the rest of us mortals....not so much. Evaluation of this video is a moot point. His skiing is unreal and the technique is spot on....I have niether. I can make any good ski look bad!!!

• Baller_

FYI, The Wilson Bros have kinda covered this exact topic from a couple of different angles already....so if you haven't read their stuff yet, you should do it now.

Here's my take:

Pretend a skier moving outbound off the wakes, is like a swinging rock at the end of a string. Its a simplified approximation, but it works fairly well for this. There are 2 things keeping the skier from escaping the course and ending up in the weeds, on shore, or wrapped around a tree.....1. the rope 2. the ski

Most people, myself and brother included, allow our feet to move away from the handle/boat/pylon too quickly through the transition. Its natural...it happens automatically. This creates a situation where your ski is on a new carving edge too soon, with the unwanted effect of pushing you back towards the buoy, in a downcourse direction. Handle tension becomes less as the ski provides more "inside support". Ultimately the rope sags and the skier becomes disconnected & numb....only to be snapped back to attention at the end of the turn.

The extreme opposite of this would be to continue on the cutting edge (or atleast flat ski) well beyond the wakes, all the way out to the buoy. Skier never hits shore...but is also never able to execute a carve.

The Perfect place to be is somewhere in between: Initiate transition at centerline-ish. ONLY feet and ski begin to move. Then knees begin to move....all the while, the core and handle stay connected, body making no effort to rotate outbound. Matt Rini has a great approach to teaching this connected position.

When the ski and knees have moved so far that they can't go anymore without taking the hips, then its time.... The hips begin to move outbound. It is at that moment that your body (Center of Gravity) transitions to the inside of the turning arc, and the ski begins to contribute to the carve. Line tension tends to drop quickly at this point.

The sooner and harder the skier CG moves to the inside of the arc, the less line tension they will have, and the less "connected" they will feel.

Finding that perfect balance is the key.

MB

• Baller

At the beginning of the 2012 Model line-up, HO stated that the A-2 was designed as the premier 36 MPH ski and the S-2 the premier 34 MPH ski. Also that their 34 MPH riders like Karina and Greg Badal would be on this ski. From what I have seen Karina and Greg have stayed on the A-2. So the question is....is the A-2 a better ski for 38, 39,and 41 ????????

The video of Matt, is the first HO top rider I have seen on the ski besides the Legends. Great skiing Matt !!! Will you stay on the S-2 ?????

So is the A-2 better for deep shortline ?????

• Baller

I brought this up because last year I got one of the first S-2's and was told HO's 34 mph skiers would be on it.

At Diablo, Chris and Bob were on the S-2 in the Legends, but Karina and Greg were on the A-2. At this years Australian Open, that was web cast here recently, Karina Won on the A-2. As far as I know Greg is still on the A-2. Matt's Video is the first time I have seen one of HO's top level skiers on the S-2.

• Baller

@Chef23 I am on the 67.5 S-2, 6'4" 220# Bindings 30 1/8" 6.750 jaws, 2.50, DFT .745 with the Slot caliper. Fwd Mini Ventral and Large Rear Ventral @ 6 degrees.

Would sure like to hear a comparison of the A-2 vs S-2 at short line lengths. So far the comments I got was that the A-2 skied well but was a lot of work.

• Baller
@Ed Johnson I have an A1 not an A2. I am thinking about trying an A2 this year as I am down to 215 right now and hope to get a little lighter in the next month or so. My A1 is 68.75 but seemed to still turn for me at least through 28 off. I haven't tried anything shorter yet.

• Baller
I have an S2, (love the ski) and spoke with Karina at length about it, and why she wasn't riding it. She absolutley loves the ski, she commented that the ski was Bob's (LaPoint) pride & joy, best ski he has ever designed. The only reason she wasn't ridding it yet, was the fact that she hadn't spent enough time on it and in her words "knew she could run 39" on the tried and tested A2.