Kids Skis

xrated

• Baller

Looking for any info I can get concerning a decent combo setup for my kids. Oldest is 7 and it is past time that I get her on skis.

What do I need to know about them? Is there any real difference? Should I be using the stabilizer bar? Any other tips for getting her going?

I'm out of commission for the summer due to pending surgery so I figure this will be a great year to get her going with the aid of my buddies boom.

• Baller
We used roped together skis and a boom. The boom is the life saver. I don't really think it matters what kind of combos you use. We used my wifes old jumpers. (Little ones, less than 60") They are great as they were wide and super stable. I screwed little stainless brackets on them front and back and had a short peice of rope between with a clip for quick on/off. This helped as we had kids of different ages/abilities on the same skis. We tried to put them on some of the shaped combos from Obrien later on. They hated them.

• Baller

Compression molded skis suck for kids because they have too much buoyancy. They float too high in the water while the kid is fighting to try to push the skis down, keep their head above water, manage the handle etc. Having tried a number of things, the winner is to take a pair of adult wooden combos (got a pair for 19.00 at used sporting goods store) and cut the back off of them to make them around 60" Spray paint the cut end so it doesn't absorb water. Kid may want to paint them; let em. Re-position the bindings. It helps to have equal size fins on the skis. Buy two small half moon shaped fittings that you screw into the front and inside edge of each ski and through which you put a piece of rope. Tie knots in the rope to control how far apart the skis can go. Adjust as needed.. No need to tie the backs together.

If the child is not happy about being behind boats, pull them on a tube until all fear is gone. If you have some jumpers, let kid ride the jumpers with you; they just put their feet in front of/on top of yours. At the dock, have kid sit with feet in front of them. Give kid the handle and pull them up onto their feet while explaining that they do not really lean back but resist the pull of the handle to maintain a somewhat seated position. Show them that their arms need to be straightish with only slight bend. Explain that the skis will not magically stay under them but, that they have to control the skis with their feet to keep the skis underneath them. When they comprende, put them in the water with the skis on by the dock. Explain that until there is some tension on the line, they cannot and will not get the skis to stay straight so, relax until the handle has some tension. (I've had kids exhaust themselves before they even get pulled) Pull them by hand a couple of times. Then off to the boat. Tell them that you are 100% certain that they are ready for this cause they did such a great job preparing. They need you to tell them that you are certain because they are not. Make sure that they understand that the seated position is the position. Don't stand up; plenty of time for that later. When you tell a kid to hang on to the rope, they think you really mean it. I've had some kids submarine for 50 feet before letting go. You almost can't go too easy with the throttle. Don't let any nanny type adults anywhere near this whole process. They reek failure and lack of nerve and it gets on the kids. Never make them ski, you'll regret it. I taught half the fourth grade to ski this way and the average before getting up and riding for some reasonable distance down the lake was three attempts. They could have done it on the first attempt but, they needed the first two to gain confidence that what I told them wasn't bullsh*t.

When they can get up and ski down the lake well, throw out a second line, put on your jumpers and ski with them. Have someone in the boat take a picture. It will end up in a frame on a wall in your house.

• Baller
For the buoyant kids combos, HO used to sell weights that could be attached to the back of the skis. It removes the buoyancy issue and allows the skis to float vertical in the water. Makes is much easier for the kids to handle the skis.

• Baller_

When my daughter was very little we used a horseshoe ski I made from plywood. Painted it white and let her go to town on painting any design/picture she wanted. Painting herself made it "hers". Was a good thing that she "owned" and was part of making the ski cause then she WANTED to use it.

Also used to use old pair od K-Glass (1950s) skies to teach kids. Was taught to ski on them myself. Reason as stated above. They were not crazy boyent. Several years ago, i went to the local salvage shop and purchased my own weights for a pair of parabolic combo skies. Used industrial Velcro and mounted just infront of fin box. If you throw them in the lake they will float at a 45 degree angle with about 10" of the tips sticking out of the water. Instead of rope to start with I use a piece of thick rubber 17"x6" laid flat to tie the skis together. Gives a sence of movement but less than the rope. Once that's mastered I'll move them to the rope idea. Then no rope. Ski shape doesn't matter that much but for little kids, shorter skies I think are a bit better. But the weighted skis are key along with the boom.

• Baller_

Oh, forgot, after she was into it, I made a chart of skills. Crossing wake, leaning, body position with drawings of each. She earned $ (just coins) for each crossing or lean...... Then went to $ per short course buoy. I stopped that when she started asking for paper money.

Recently got a book of "ski buddy" coupons from her that she made on the computer for my birthday (moms idea). When ever I need a ski buddy I just pull a coupon. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Hoping to get a "will learn to drive the boat" certificate from her next year. Maybe for fathers day this yr but will see. Lessons to be given by mom.

Placing a counterweight on the ski's is clutch. I did not do it and I totally regret it. If you do not have the weights, the boom is impossible to use because they kids can't keep the skis in front of them. Now I just need to figure out where to get dive weights that I can rig to fit on the back of the ski.

• Baller

Thanks for the info guys!

I will start looking on CL this week.

Luckily my buddy with the boom is a very patient man and he seems to have good luck getting people up on skis in general. The current plan is to kind of step back and let him be the instructor, because just like teaching the wife I think it is better to have someone else giving the coaching.