Progressive Waterskiing Drills

hitumup59

As a high school coach and teacher of 32 years, I use many progressive drills (beginner to advanced) in the classroom, on the court, and on the field to assist my athletes to understand the complexity of a given skill and or sport. As the student-athlete masters a given skill, I will challenge them with what I call "Pyramiding", demonstrating multiple skills at the same time. Each skill will become more complex. The final outcome of a skill for a specific activity will be "mastery". With that being said, "What progressive skills can be applied for a novice skier on the course"? Cite examples of drills one could practice for pull out, setting up for the gates, edge changes, etc. This could be fun to practice on land or in the sea.

• Baller_

Practice stacked position drill

Ride your ski (boat running normal speed in course) outside the turn buoy line the full length of the course in a stacked leaned position. Do this for both directions of lean. Goal is to FEEL what stacked is like. The better your stacked position the more lean away from the boat and line pressure you will be able to generate as you travel parallel to the course. With that, you will notice your ski moving faster, getting wider on the buoy line and climbing up on the boat. Lose the position and you lose line pressure, speed and width. Do this before chasing the buoys each set. So your first two passes will be this drill, one for each lean. Then, chase away. You will start to find that stacked position (or notice you don't) because you will have just felt it. Has worked wonders for several skiers I've had try this and is working great for my daughter.