Skiing in warm Nuclear Power discharge water

petroaj

Hey guys,

I am trying to put together a project for an engineering class about Nuclear power. Of course, I wanted to mix in a little skiing with it and I remember Waterski Mag having an article a few years ago about people skiing in a lake that cooled Nuclear Reactors. With a foot of snow on the ground, the water was still relatively warm enough to ski in. Anyone have a link for this or something like it? Thanks!

• Baller

People have been doing that in Lake Erie just above the Ohio line for years. I think it is just a regular power plant though. My cousin used to do it 30 years ago. Look at Fermi and Consumers Power plant right on the shores in southeast Michigan for a start.

The only other place I have skied by nuclear is three mile island near Harrisburg on the Susquehanna. Very shallow, but I think that might be a place that has hot cooling water dumping into a river.

• Baller
Clinton Lake in IL, basically all in a state park, no bouys, but does make for some nice early & late year runs......footing in 3' of steam in Oct. was pretty cool. Water can be in the 90's at the first publically accessible portion of the discharge point.

• Baller

We used to ski at morgan lake near Farmington, NM and it is heated by a coal fire power plant. It was pretty cool for an early start for us mountain folk who only get in 5-6 months of skiing.

• Baller
Dave, the coldest I've ever been in my life was January of 1989. I was working for my Dad's building business when we lived in Woodbridge and he had me roofing a 2 story A frame house on the shores of Lake Anna. I still get shivers thinking about that week. LOL