More questions. Gloves, heater tops and bindings.

Taelan28

Just an update: I got a Tempur Pedic cloud mattress. Its amazing. I dont move at night and I sleep solidly. I wish I didnt spend so much money but its a good investment since I use the mattress 8 hours a day. I also bought the NEX-5n camera--wicked cool, I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a superb convenient camera but isnt going to be going nuts taking photos. My 67" Elite is in the mail. I hope it rides as well as I remember it, for the ski I bought was quite used... We'll see. I also finally found a place to buy used skis in korea, but the prices are obtusely steep.

So my questions.

Right now the bindings are on clearance. I can get an animal or an attack boot for $200 instead of $400. I'm used to the animal and it would be a safe bet, but the new attack boot has a really low profile and its LIGHT, since its made out of different material I wonder about the comfort and durability. I have tried an older Attack binding that went way high on the ankle and hated it, so anything with the name "Attack" on it has me shy. Alas its a different design and its light as can be. Any comments on the new attack boot vs the usual animal?

Radar vs Syndicate tail. The Tails look really good, have hard skin and are thin and responsive. The Radar gloves (or any other glove with big strip in the middle) have a large stripe running from the wrist to the finger tips and allow me to have an iron grip, but their more expensive and I can forsee having coordination issues with them. Which do you guys prefer, gloves with or without the strip?

Heater tops. White is cool. I like the color, but will it get dirty easily? Silly question but I'd like to know before I spend even more money on these things.

• Baller

I am using master locks because of a trigger finger issue that weakens my grip. Prefer regular masters curves without the hand issue.

White tends to look dingy over time to me in water sports. Prefer blues and blacks.

I went from Animals to Stradas and haven't had any issues.

I have been skiing all winter in a Oneill 3/4 "heat" wet suit I purchased from Willeys.it keeps me warm and also fairly dry. I prefer it to a dry suit. I bought a eagle 1m heater tank from h2o that really helps under the Oneill. I am having good luck with my blue "Accurate" inexpensive gloves.

• Baller

gloves that fit are the best ones... traditionally I have liked the HO gloves, have had to go down a size recently with a few different brands (maybe they are making gloves bigger now?). in the 41tails now. I think they work for a lot of people.

had some D3 gloves that worked, but did not last as long as my other HO's.

tried the pro-locks from masterline once and liked them very much, might have to give them a shot next. Once you get used to a crutch like that you can't go back to regular gloves I hear...

Oneill wetsuits only for me. the Hammer shirt 2/1 works great for the money, or the gooru for some more $. I just picked up the hammer spring suit, which is a 2/1 shorty but with full length arms. can't wait to try it.

radar vectors if you're still an aspiring course skier. radar strada's if you're getting more advanced course time. the new Animals are junk IMO.

• Baller

If you go with Masterline Pro Locks be sure they fit very snug - any excess material at the finger tips will prevent the glove from releasing the handle when necessary and shoulder problems will ensue.

I just ordered the D3 Enzo's. I've heard they run a little bigger, so I'm hoping they will fit. I really like the simple design.

My HO 41' tails, split in the suede section that joins the thumb to the strap on the top of your hand. A mate with 41' Tails also split in the same area. A shame, because they are great gloves.

I just received my d3 Enzos to replace the 41's and I can confirm that are slightly larger, so order a size down. They look good though, so hopefully they prove to be more durable than my old gloves.

@Taelan28 You'd think it wouldn't effect much, but for me the split kept getting larger until it was the whole width of the thumb. This then rendered the top strap useless, so the glove would be loose over the palm.

The rest of the glove shows hardly any signs of wear, so if it wasn't for that fault I'm sure I would have gotten a lot more life out of them.

• Baller
or...leave the material that has split alone (since it is trying to relieve itself from stress) and use an iron on denim patch on the inside or outside or both. This will allow for the material to stay somewhat "relaxed" where it wants to be; but, still holds everything together. You can also hand stich around the outside of the patch for added security and longer life. I have found this to be very successful with many different glove repairs.

Denim gloves... Now that would be an interesting look

The part of the glove that split is a 5mm wide section of suede, so I think it would be very difficult to patch. As per the advice from @thager - I've stitched it up, so I'll see how long it lasts.

Mine are Red and Black and so are my mates (which have split in the same spot). Of note only one of the gloves has split for each of us - we'd still have one good pair between us, if we wore the same size!

• Baller
The patches come in many colors; including black...just in case you give it a go. It does work, i will post some pic of where my forefinger wore a hole through my glove; so the material was totally gone, like the size of a nickel. Patched over it and it has held up for over half a season.