@ Peter Gloersen on the Gate move question

mrpreuss

if you have edged in water, it shows Rossi and Jamie clearly making the move at the pull out for the gates. Check just sets in the bonus features an Marcus' one handed gate section with Jamie pulling out. It's the same move in every pre-turn it's but easier to see at the gates.

• Baller

It's actually a very subtle move that people miss. Also, very misunderstood in execution I think. I seriously do not think most of the elite skiers even realize what they're doing. When us mere mortals allow the handle to go away from us, we typically follow it with our outside shoulder, the ski goes to the buoy, and it's all over. The elite skiers do it but maintain their core engagement and upper body position and therefore the ski continues it's outbound arc. David Miller is probably the most noticeable at it in the course. He comes off the 2nd wake, starts to transition outward, and his arms are straight out in front of him. But it's like he has a cable from the handle to his hips which never lets his hips go back or his shoulders forward. Or at least that's my perception.

mrpruess, I think what intitially had me disagreeing with you on this was your choice of description, saying a 2nd pull. I think it's symantics, but I can't get that out of my head as not being a good descriptor for it. I'm not sure what is, though. LOL

• Baller

@mrpruess , he wasn't talking about it so much in the gates but in the outbound into pre-turn counter, and he worked with Razor1 more than me with it but I was in the boat for the discussion. CP was really excited about it at the time, and would bounce up and down and smack me in the shoulder when Razor did it right. I was still at 36 mph, so this was more than 5 yrs ago...I'm a little fuzzy but will give memory a shot.

He talked about arms straight, handle tight in to hip and as you get to the wash and are coming up the move is both hands come forward and outbound to start the counter...almost like releasing the stored energy into the counter in that move and it's extension to full counter. He didn't say over the ski, but when you mentioned that above it hit home that this is where they end up and reminded me of that lesson.

I'm sure he explained it better than this...I like your explanation above.

• Members
I don't really see the "move" you guys are talking about so much with Terry Winter, what I do see is how his leading arm (right arm going into one, left arm into two), NEVER comes across his body. Something I've found impossible to do myself. Terry also keeps an incredible amount of ski in the water.

• Baller_
@mrpreuss would love to know that drill!! Tried that little advanced move tonight. FAIL!! Advanced is an understatement. @28 it was easier to attempt and succeeded a full pass (amazing by the way). 32 was here and there with success. 35 it seemed impossible. Guess I need to take two steps back.

• Baller

@mrpreuss , Razor1 and I are in Southern Canada (Minnesota). Water temp about 50. Have free skied about 5 times this spring and been in the course one day for 14 passes at 28 off. Obviously still shaking off the winter rust, but would be interested in your drill for sure.

Met some Atlanta skiers at the fall ski watch tourney last year near Pensacola.

• Baller

Is this among the reasons Lucky coaches skiing the course with 2-hand turns up through 28off?

Can't really counter much, but 2-hand turns mandate good handle control past the spray as well as the arms straight, out front-over the ski balancing/sweet spot maneuver.

As far as 2-handing a pass; can't even do 22off myself, not disciplined enough to keep trying.

@gloersen

At your Lucky question. No , I would NEVER EVER 2 hand or recommend it. I don't ski enough to learn how to ski different types of turns. The idea of handle control is to carry width with speed and set up the best counter position to carry that speed. To ski 2 handed would mean less speed and counter so you will not be able to carry speed. You should try to run your 22 and 28 like Matt Brown runs his 32, with great speed, power and control. Then 32 will feel just fine.