AMskis

block

• Baller_
So is that all there is to making a ski? A mold, some press board and a vacuum bag? Looks like they're made in a garage. Not questioning the master builders/skiers in that garage, just thought Id see some high tech equipment that I couldn't find in my garage. I need to take a tour of a ski making facility.

• Baller
Wish, keep in mind that there is a difference in prototyping and production building. But there's nothing really high tech about the majority of composite molding and pressing in the ski industry. It's pretty low tech. Now, when you get into production like RTM or what Warp did with forcing the curing in an autoclave, then things get more complex. But I bet that represents probably less than 1% of watersports composites.

• Administrators

Curing composite is not super high tech. Knowing how to get a ski to work and make 100 skis that ski the same is voodoo. I have been in ski factorys and it is not a super sexy process.

Anyone can make a ski at home just like you can build a hot rod at home. I am not saying that it will be worth a crap to ski on but you can do it.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

I once watched a guy make a ski from balsa wood, fiberglass from a hardware store and some bootleg graphite from Kidder while waiting on ski rides. The 66"ACME produced a tournament best score of 2 @ 35 36 mph by Marc Shaw on the bayou at U of L.

I never skied on it but did R and D the first and only ACME fin bracket. I will never be the test pilot dummy for Horton again. The fin block would let the fin go at the wakes and send you flying without warning. This caused you to get bucked 40' and Horton to double over laughing for 10 minutes.

• Baller_
Got an E-mail back from Andy this morning about when skis will be ready for release. Sounds like they are close to getting a few out to us mere mortals. Want to get Stephen to try one as he has all way's skied real well on AM designs.

• Baller

Ski building is an art. Messy but an art. Experience helps. Technology only helps a bit. Fancy manufacturing equipment even less. Marketing hype may be counterproductive. Skier endorsements...

"Anyone can make a ski at home" - not really. But a fancy fab plant is not necessary. A competent and experienced designer is most needed (Andy!).

Horton has built skis. Note that he no longer rides them. GIGO.

Where is the website? Is a website necessary for a good ski?

Eric

• Baller

OK, saw the website. I like the rounded shape of the tip. Looks like he's copying my designs!

I like how the calipers are used as a straightedge.

I'm always a little leery of fancy metal molds. It is very hard to change such a mold. It looks like Andy has a quite adaptable mold. His skis could end up being pretty good.

How many more buoys or points will the website get me?

Eric

• Baller_
It is funny how a lot of us covet our skis and treat them better then our best girl. Yet their are a number of top end skiers that utilize them like a tool. bash them around, grind on them, cut-em down the middle and then un ceremoniously throw them in the trash after about 10 sets. I once watched A Pro Jumper pull a brand new set of Obrian Jumpers fresh off the UPS truck, set them up between a pick-nick table and a chair and then stand at the top of the table and jump full force "against" the rocker and watch them rebound. If their was not any crunching nor noises he would then mount them up and go jump 220 plus on them. I have in the shop a Mapple that Kris split and glued back together. Never tried it, It scared me.

• Baller

What is the value in a cosmetically perfect expensive ski if a little messy grinding gives you more buoys? A ski is a tool. That pristine old wood Obrien or Maha belongs on a wall as art. Use that 40 grit on the ski - unless it has fish scales or wallboard texture already.

Pros? Who is a pro? Free skis? Does even @Horton get free skis? Maybe @Dirt does - but that's different.

Loads in skis are primarily longitudinal. Side to side loads are reasonably small. It doesn't take too much support to keep a ski from splitting lengthwise. When I was a kid I had an old wood ski that split down the length. A couple of steel brackets across the ski and I was able to keep skiing (water did squirt through the crack in a very entertaining manner). Of course, the crack did convince my parents to buy me a new ski - "that can't be safe! We really need a new ski!"

@Jody might be safer on a whole ski however! Would @ShaneH be better with a whole girl? (Sorry Shane, I hope it wasn't too inappropriate to pick on you.)

Eric

• Baller
After paying 1300 just last August for a Fusion and the daughter outgrowing it over the winter, I may just cut it down the middle and glue it back together. Tried to get the shop to trade another demo for it. They wouldn't do it. Guess it was stupid to buy a $1000 plus ski for a growing kid:)

• Baller
@skimech That's why ski it again is such a great deal. Don't buy high end new skis until the growth spurts are done. Its even worse if they 3 event. Buy good second hand skis for half price or less with no loss in performance.

• Baller

I attached a picture of a KD7000 that Kris modified for me years ago. He added width to the ski in the tail section, tapering it down to nothing in just ahead of the back boot, with the theory of keeping the tip down and being faster on top of the water. It worked and I skied on it for a while and then I just moved to a 9100 and stayed on that for many years. Looking at the split and epoxy on the KD, it still looks ready to go.