Need some help with my hips.

travnews

I am having a problem with getting my hips to the handle on my off-side turn. I try to get my hips up in the pre-turn but they almost always fall behind as I head towards the wake. I don't feel I have this problem as bad on my on-side. I'm trying to stay stacked but keep failing, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Don't have any video at this point. Any tips to help? - thank you.

I free-skied today and tried to focus on this but made little progress.

• Baller

Are you sitting on your pull? This drops the hips away from the handle.

Some dry land work could help, trying to get the feel of shoulders away, arms straight, body stacked.

If your chest is closed and pointed to the course in the ore turn, it is hard to get the ski around and through the turn, so it can get stuck behind you along with your hips. Counter rotating helps run the ski through the turn and put shoulders in place to hookup over the hips.

• Baller

For me....YMMV...I know when I am skiing correctly when the pull feels more like a pulse. A momentary load that comes with the handle right on the hip. Results in a slingshot across the wake, flowing directly into a pre-turn on the other side.

Total effort is much less when this works. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen nearly as often as I would like.

My thought while skiing, is to focus on is: hips to handle, not handle to hips. BTW, I think that Butterfields article which talks a lot about keeping your elbows in is a major key to making this happen.

• Administrators

Exit of off side turn is tricky. I think there are two things you need to understand

First of all hips back means your back leg is bent more your front. This may seem strange but what can you do to keep you back leg straighter?

second thing is that the earlier and faster your shoulders turn the harder it is to stay stacked.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
First a disclaimer, I'm nowhere near the skier a lot of guys on this site are. But that being said I feel that I have the strongest body position on my off side when I take the time on the turn to open my outside shoulder during the reach, let the ski finish the turn and come back under me and then focus on back arm pressure.