Stupid Dual Lock Question

A_B

• Baller

I have read all over the place that a skier should use 400 on the plate and 250 on the ski.

Goode's website says if you use 400 you void your warranty (it is silent on running over a logs).

I have used 250 on 250, 4 strips and a middle strip, maybe 6 inches or so..

What is correct????

Also, I have been using 3870, which is medium temperature tape. Is this correct?

Thanks!!

• Baller

@scotchipman, I believe I used your chart last year when setting up my Sequence Plate. I am >220, so might be a little light on the fifth strip.

I guess 250 is probably good enough. I will be getting some more tape to setup my G10 plate with the Stradas, so 250 is what I will get.

thanks!

Gatorade?

• Baller

I've been experimenting a lot lately, and have never had a pre-release. It seems to me that the answer could be slightly different for each individual skier based on many factors.

I started by using Soctt Chipman's chart, but felt, it was not going to release. Lessened it to 2 total strips (250/250 clear) and it still was not going to pre-release. It did release, but not as quickly as I wanted it to. My last adjustment was down to two 7/8" (cut down) strips, with (so far) no pre-releases. I do test them on ground to feel a "land" release, and it feels right.

My weight is 150-155. Seems some others who weigh even less than me can pre-release using more than me. I've talked to a few people, and each seems to have their own set-up that they are happy with. I think that the larger skiers can have problems because they obviously put a lot more pressure than I can, and certainly need more. I just can't quite figure out how they really KNOW that the additional strips (under the bindings) are actually connected. Pounding on the ski in various places could miss some locations, imo. This could make things much more difficult than the little guy that can "see" each of the 2 sides completely locked together.

The one thing that does seem consistent with dual lock, though, is once it INITIATES it's releasing, it's likely to be a very quick "complete" release.

Good Luck with the experimentation, and safe skiing!

• Baller

@scotchipman It makes sense (to me) that you would need more than me, based on your shorter line abilities (I'm only a 32 off skier), and your height (I'm only 5'5"). It IS an excellent question that AB brings up, though, and an interesting "journey" in finding what is "right" for you.

• Baller
Goode's own sponsored skiers told me to use 2 strips of 250 on the ski and 2 strips of 400 on the plate for my weight, which is 170lbs, when I was having prerelease issues. The problems with Scotts chart is that a lot of skis can't fit that many strips across.

I use 2 strips of 400 (clear) and 2 strips of 250 (clear) on the plate, and 4 strips of 250 (clear) on the ski. No pre-release issues whatsoever. I weigh 180 pounds. I personally like clear because it is much easier to remove and clean the residue from the ski.

• Baller
@scotchipman, no problems with the Sequence plate so far. It is just that the holes on the plate expose the adhesive and I am not sure that is bad or okay. The ski I am on is a little stiffer and thought the G10 plate might flex a little more than the Sequence plate. The Sequence must also be narrower than Mike's plates, as I can't get 4 rows on it at the back.

• Baller
One of the problems with getting the velcro to connect is the boots are in the way. Under the advice of another skier who had prerelease problems. I Marked the boots on the plate. Pulled the plate off. Taped the inserts from the bottom. Removed the boots. Put the plate back on with no boots. This was easier to pound the plate on with a block and a mallet, but also I had a good visual to see the plate was fully locked on. Sounds cumbersome, but it did work.

I'm using Goode "standard" amount. I weigh 170. 4 strips of 250 on plate and 4 strips on ski. Only been in the Powershells six months and am at least a pass down on last season. I dont know if they will release so mentally I'm skiing cautiously. I dont know whether to perciviere or try and find something else. very frustrating.

• Baller

Fill the bottom of the plate anywhere the bolts aren't and fill the ski area anywhere the bolts don't meet the ski area all the way to the edge of the ski (about 1/8 inch away from side). Give yourself a little adjustment room around each bolt area. Put ski on carpeted area of dock and use a 2x4 on the plate hitting the 2x4 with a hammer of choice. A little 3lb sledge works great- even the rubber sledge works well. It won't come off unless you need it to on a 1/4 bouy fall or out the front.

Now you're ready to be as aggressive as you want to be. Hardshells (any type) allow you to apply more power when you need it-take advantage of them if you're going to use them. You'll never go back to rubber boots.