When do you change your rope and or handle

Horton

• Baller_
Was given the same advice as Seth stated, sharp top edged skies cut into the rope as you get pulled up out of the water. The first question ML asked when I complained about frying was "what ski do you ride?". Answer-Goode. The handle I use now has ML's rubber tubing on the V as well as a black shrink type tubing (looks heated and form fitted) half way down past the V.

• Baller
I skied with this said rope in said club boat yesterday after noticing my rope was short. I did not like the pull I got it fell a little stretchy. I could have been the driver being distracted... but I switched back to my rope on my second set and skied better...

• Baller_

Resurrecting an old thread. Seems like the average is changing handle and rope once a year, maybe a little less frequently.

BUT, I'm wondering: I'm skiing at 15off, between 30-34 mph, so I know I'm not loading the rope like some of you guys. And I skied around 550 passes last season, which may also be lower than some of you (particularly anyone in year-round-ski climate, unlike me).

I had a new rope and handle to start last season (ML Monster Team Handle and ML regular Mainline rope), and they still look fine to me. Can a guy like me get 2-3 years instead of 1 year? I'm about to start grad school, so money is an issue lol.

• Baller
I get about 200 sets out of a rope or about every 2 years. Never left in the sun and coiled so it's not twisted. Handle can last longer depending on ski and gloves. After 200 sets you can get a lot of use out of the rope still but harder on your body. The team handle is not as good quality as the custom though.

• Baller

I would say if you start seeing broken strands and are beyond 1 yr then time to change. And by strands I mean the individual poly filaments on your rope or handle. The rope brittles with age aside from use.

I ski about 175 practice sets each year, about 8 passes per set, or about 1400 passes per year. I change my rope twice per year and don't use an optimized rope.

• Baller

I’ve said it before,

1) $70,000 Ski boat.

2) $2,000-$10,000 on skis, vests, gyms, fuel, etc.

3) The $$ in hours invested in getting in shape, watching instructional videos, tweaking, reading BOS to get the ultimate edge, etc.

Then cheap out on the new, safe, pristine rope and grippy handle ($300) that connects all that from the water to the pylon!!

Makes no sense…?‍♂️??‍♂️

I change ropes and handles yearly.

Why wouldn’t you!?

• Baller_
@Rednucleus Off topic, but that reminds me of my first job out of law school at a very large Park Avenue, New York City law firm. If you came back from vacation with facial hair you didn’t have when you left, the second day back from vacation you’d have a brand new razor and a fresh can of Barbasol on your desk when you arrived for work.

Lpskier

• Baller_

My dad changed ropes every few years. or if he gave his away / left at a site. The last Pro DLX he used for about 2-2.5 years, and that was with skiing 4-6 passes 5-6 times a week.

I typically suggest to people once the loops fray / show major wear. Ive only had one rope break on me while skiing, and it was maybe 5-6 years old, and we had been skiing all day on it, it broke on my cut into swinging into the dock.

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller

Soon as I see signs of wear and tear and frayed rope or the handle loses tackiness.

My ski partner had a rope that looked way too unsafe for my large butt so I gave him a new one to keep in his boat. He went down to FL last Spring and took the junk rope. First pass cracked his ribs with a line break.

I’ve broken 3 handles and at least that many ropes. Neither are fun. Not worth the health risk.

• Baller_

A drunk piece of rope goes into a bar and orders a drink. He immediately starts hitting on some women and causes a fight with their dates. The bartender throws him out and tells him not to come back.

The rope leaves the bar and goes out in the street. He gets himself all twisted up and then rolls around on the pavement and gets all scuffed up.

The rope goes back in the bar and orders a drink.

Bartender: Aren’t you the rope I just threw out of here?

Rope: No, I’m a frayed knot.

And with that, Merry Christmas.

Lpskier