Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

When do you change your rope and or handle

Horton

• Administrators
I have asked this before and still not sure if there is a good rule for modern ropes and handles. I sort of freak when I see some fray but have not seen anyone break a rope in years.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
I usually put a new one in every year but we don't ski as much here in Mass as a lot of you guys do. I broke a handle two years ago and I was lucky that I was just a little banged up. It seems like not a huge expense for the peace of mind.

• Baller_
Just got my handle back from Masterlne. After 3+ yrs it was fraying at one of the ends of the handle. Actually started affecting my skiing thinking about it breaking. Handle itself was barely worn (credit clincher gloves for that) so I had ML restring it. Very very reasonable price compared to a new one. Close to half the price. Not sure this is a accurate way to check the age of a rope but if you push the rope open as if your going to send a rope needle through it and the quickly let go, it should snap back to almost original shape. Older ropes, worn or sun damaged lines will maintain the bulge you created by pushing it open. That's a rope to be used for a cloths line.

• Baller_
I go through one handle a year because my son steals it! change out ropes three to four times a year because they end up tournament ropes at Cory's They Steal them! Gloves same thing My son steals them! My trick Ski! Yep Stolen by my son! My wife stole my 6AM. Luckily my daughter is a very small girl so she does not steal my stuff. Oh and Delta just broke my Slalom Ski, To me that's akin to stealing!!!

• Baller
I bought a rope/handle from Brenda in 2010, but I tore my rotator cuff and only skied about a month of that season. Last year I started in May, broke my foot on July 6, and didn't get back on my ski until mid August. Being that I only started chopping rope in September and I only go a buck-thirty-five, I'm going to give this rope/handle at least one more season. Unless someone warns me strongly against it.

• Baller
I buy 4 ropes and handles at the same time, keep them out of the sun, and rotate their usage each day I get out skiing. I usually get 6-7 seasons out of them. I am trying out Performance Pure from Performace Ski and Surf of Orlando. So far so good. Just bought 4 of them during last season. Don't buy Straightline anymore. They used to be the best, now they are crap. Masterline trick ropes and handles from now on.

I try to avoid brand new ropes- too stretchy until knots are seated. I go through two practice handle a season. When one begins to fray I restring it. Round handles last twice as long. As I can rotate 180 degrees so the worn rubber is away from the gripping area. I normally use a different handle for tournaments- keep it out of the sun, hide it, and check its dimensions whenever I can.

I find older ropes get stiffer, and shorter, as the poly gets harder and more brittle w/ age. I 86 the rope for skiing when I note broken fibers at the knots. Somewhere in the life of a rope is the happy medium- enough give to save the elbows and back, and not so much it makes a slingshot out of it. I wish that period was at least a season longer!

• Baller
Now this whole thread makes more sense. @Jdarwin - I agree they get stiffer with age, but I thought they also got longer as well. I have "fidded" a 3 to 5 inch length of scrap rope into the center of a handle rope to shorten it. Your thoughts?

The chemicals in Poly evaporate slowly- like your car dashboard. The poly shrinks as part of it goes into atmosphere. Heat, ozone(?), and UV accelerate that. Remainder is harder- more brittle and shorter. Tournament-only ropes can last a long time if cared for- but even sitting in a dark closet- they will shrink slowly- As a chief judge and as a scorer, I have kept records of some of the same ropes over several years, and they were always different, and always shorter as they 'aged'. Eventually they will be out of tolerance and will require a lot of work to fix. Sometmes not worth the time, and easier to just replace them.

• Baller
Yeah it was 1ft. 5 inches short over all and 1 inch short on the handle. Looks like ML is getting an order from me this week. I guess I am skiing better than I thought I was.
Better than long I guess.
this is very true.

• Baller

If you ride a goode or any ski that has a sharp edge, get the ML Carbon handles because they have rubber on the V. Also, don't use handles where you can see the rope that wraps around the handle, because you need to see if it frays. Also, if you need one restrung...here comes the shameless plug...click below:

http://www.h2oproshop.com/reyofaha.html

My two cents...

• Baller
Sorry, meant to say just the opposite, don't use handles where you CAN'T see the ropes that wraps around the handle. Most of the fraying on that part of the rope is from the ropes interaction with the grommets that the rope goes through as it passes through the handle...at least this way, you can see it. Sorry for the typoon the previous post...

• Baller_
Yesterday skiing with Regina we took her rope away from her as it really did not look good. The line off loops at 32 and 35 along with the main line handle loop was rather frayed some skiers stay on their ropes to long. We did provide her with a broke in rope that was measured and certified.