Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Nate Smith ski size

ral

• Administrators
I think he rides a bigger ski because of his style. He carries speed into and out of the turn better then anyone else ... so the big ski works for him. I would not say that since Nate is maybe the best skier alive today that we should all try to ski on what he skis on. For most of us the factory size chart is pretty good.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Just to cloud the issue, I also have long arms relative to my size but I find I ski better on a shorter ski -- i.e. I am between sizes on some charts and the larger of those usually feels great at -28 and awful at -38.

I'm afraid there are no simple rules: just gotta find what works for you.

• Administrators

@scotchipman yea that is a good start but it includes the part of the ski that is out of the water most of the time.

What if all skis with a stock binding placement of 29.5 could be compared... square inches behind 29.5. If you add or remove an inch to the tip of the ski you change the sq inches calc but change nothing about how the ski works.

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

@scotchipman if you could get the CAD files you could do that but as soon as you change one other factor no two skis are alike. As soon as you change flex or rocker it is a different ski. As an example, Connelly swears that the first year Prophecy comes for the exact same mold as the F1. The difference is materials and rocker (changing layup can change rocker) I ran some 38s on the Prophecy and could hardly run 35 on the F1.

So what is my point? The size of the ski is just one of many factors. Thinking in terms of that one factor across multiple designs does not seem to offer a lot of value. I say this because we are also talking about one skier. If we saw that all the pro skiers were sizing up or down then you would be on to something.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Only The Krista knows for sure!

I heard he is 167lb and 6'3". My guess is a 84" wingspan. I am 6'1" with a 77" and he looks like much longer arm than me. Technically, if he is skinny-shouldered, you have to look at arm sleeve, as I am sort of wide on top....

John McElya (sp?) had some of the longest arms I have ever seen on a slalom course.

• Baller

AB,

If you remember John Mcelyea you have been around for a while! I barely remember the name from when I started in the mid 80's. I believe he may have had a piece of the world record for a brief time.

I worked for Andy for a bit at his ski school in another life. He was talking about skiers who were not active any more and said "That guy could ski" when Mcelyea came up. What a compliment when you consider the source!

• Baller
I remember him running a pass at Grand Rapids Michigan at the Tour Stop that looked like Kareem all laid out reaching forward for 6 ball. If he put his hand In the air I bet he had a foot extra to the average skier.

• Baller

Probably Nate. He is either 157 or 167, and I am just too darn old and forgot. I was told he tried a 66" and hated it. Probably 157.

I know a Big Dawg that weighs 185-190 and he dropped down froma 68" and he has skied less consistent and no where near his top scores. He believes he is relearning to ski. I believe he is crazy. Ran 1@41 a few times at my lake, and I haven't seen him run 39 in 2 seasons.

• Baller
@Horton - Nate was going back and forth between a 67" and 68" when I first met him and I asked his weight. He replied 155lbs. If Krista is feeding him better than he fed himself, it may be up a few from there ;)