Drysuit research....

Fine409

• Baller

Hey all....doing some research for my first drysuit purchase. I'm considering purchasing the O'Neil Boost through this website...

http://www.activewake.com/oneill-boost-drysuit.html

Would anyone suggest any other brands/models to look into? I'm trying to extend my skiing season up here in Minnesota by a couple months!

Thanks everyone.....Dan

• Baller
Bought a boost last year, my favorite drysuit to date. Have had various baggies over the years and felt too much drag. Have had various neo's including o'neil twice and they are comfy w/little drag but became semi dry in short order.

I have a Boost and only wore it a year, then moved to the Wileys below and like it much better, fits better and less bulk/drag, have three years on it and is still in great shape. I have also skied in my neighbors BARE Ultra (from Grizzly Sports below) and really liked it, liked it better than the Wiley and way better than the Boost, very comfortable. My next will either be the BARE or an Eagle. It is probably a personal preference but definately consider the BARE or and Eagle. In WA and we ski year round so comfort and staying dry are important.

http://www.wileyski.com/shopproductdetail.asp?prodID=4078&catID=84

http://www.eaglesports.com/drysuits.aspx

http://www.grizzly-sports.com/product_detail.cfm?CatID=22&PID=1249

• Baller
I know people sometimes hate on O'Neil because they have the perception that they don't "support" our sport as much as other brands, but O'Neil sure does support their products. Just last week my ski partner had a drysuit that was leaking around the zipper and O'Neil just sent him a new suit without a hassle. I've also had stuff repaired by them free of charge without a hassle.

• Baller
I got an Eagle bag suit with the zipper in the front. Very light weight and easy to put on and I can zip it myself. It by far is the best suit I have used. I am a North West skier and ski year round. I got mine through H2O Osmosis. Good price and customer service. OF

i ski in 50-60 degree water and have only ever skied with the O'Neil assault hybrid.

Looking at getting a wetsuit this winter. So far have been looking at the O'Neil physco 2 or the mystic empire.

What do you guys recommend for this water temp? Wetsuit or drystuit?

I prefer the Assault Hybrid. Have had for 2 winters. Used Bare and Sahara in the past. IMO the Assault is the best of the three. Little drag and roomy top to layer underneath.

We ski thru the winter here in SC with the water temps in mid to low 50's and it works great.

• Baller

@ Essvar, I can operate the rear zip on my drysuit solo but I cheat a little by using a dog leash connected to the zipper loop. I had to figure it out on my own or cook to death since everyone disappeared. If the zip is sticky or stubborn I attach a little longer leash to a post and walk the zipper open or closed. Can't wait for my neighbors comments if they ever see this process!!

They already think I'm nuts.

• Baller
My Oneil Assault, which is about 6 years old, has started to crack and leak a ton. The cracks are showing up in the Goretex material. I've been trying to patch with Aquaseal, which works, but there are so many leaks i cant keep up. Anyone else having this problem?

• Baller

Had my Oneill Assault four years now with no issues, great suit, watertight, comfy,but- try out the size before buing if you can.

I felt just as some posters above you could go with one size smaller.

• Baller
I've got a BI, and I use it to swim the course line off the bottom in the spring in frigid water with lots of extra layering. Used it for skiing last year on a particularly cold day late season w/cold water...he had to add 20 lbs on PP classic due to the air drag. indestructable, dry as a bone, but too much drag for me to use for slalom.

• Baller
I skied Saturday in my O'Neill Assault air was in the 60's and the water still had some ice on it. I think its the best skiing suit available. I loaned it to a friend for when he skied and now he wants one. Jamie