Which Strada and bindings

Tank

Hi all,

New to Radar and am going to purchase a 65 or 66 Strada but need help and guidance on decisions. The 2011 or '12? I know the 2011 stick is killer but should I get the '12 and why? Can save a couple bucks on the '11 which is always good but if the '12 is what I should get...then that's what I'll do.

Am 5'10 167 size 10 foot. Have been skiing a 65 lately, and a 67 when I was a little heavier. Am used to Animal boots but my feet do cramp up a bit... gotta admit. So the other decision is Vectors vs Strada boots on my new 65 or 66 2011 or 2012 Strada. WOW!

Your thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated my friends!

• Baller

Tank,

If you indicate what speed you ski at, it will influence how others answer your question regarding length of ski.

Re: bindings...if you ski at all in cold water, the extra cash for the closed toe Strada boots is a no-brainer.

Awesome! Thank you so much!!!!! 66 w/ the stradas it is. Sounds like whether I get the 2011 or '12...they're both good rides and I'll be happy either way I go. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice...thanks again! And Chris...you rock brother!!!!

Aloha

• Baller
I went from Animals to Vectors. I've never tried the Stradas but would like too. During long coaching sets, I have no issue with cramping in the Vectors like I did in the Animals. In fact, if I leave my back foot in my RTP it starts to cramp and my front foot in the Vector doesn't. I'm guessing the same would be true for the Stradas.

The 2010 and the 2011 are the same ski, just different graphics. I think the 2012 is the same mold also, but the carbon was layed a different way. I'm not sure, please correct me if I am wrong.

So if you want to save money, look for a 2010 strada.

Go with the strada bindings over the vectors if you are the only one using the ski.

• Baller
I think the 2012 Strada is significantly different than the 2010/11 version. We had Radar demo day last year and this year. Last year, I could not run a comfortable pass on the Strada to the point that I slowed the boat down to 32 just to run a few 28s. This year, I ran 28s and 32s at full speed right out of the hole. Most others felt the 2012 was better than last year's ski as well that tested this year.

• Baller
I have a 2010 strada 66". I skied for 15+ years on a 65" and I was worried that the 66 would feel too long or feel hard to turn. I absolutely love the 66. I have no problem turning it...and continue to find myself biting off more angle than I should as it is. I am 5'9" and 160lbs. I don't know the difference between 2012 and 2011 but I bought my 2010 last year for the same reason. $600 vs. $1200. You will love it.

• Baller

flya750 - "The 2012 bindings have incorporated a special strip on the back of the liner that is suppose to better help the liner release from the hard shell"

This strip has been present from the first RS-1 binding. I have three years worth of RS-1 and both 2010 and 2011 Strada liners, all have the strip, it is not new and is in fact integral to the ejection process. What is new for 2012 in the liner is that they went back to the thickness of the RS-1 liners. What is new in the 2012 shell is the flap that covers the lower laces which allows you to change out the lower lace a lot easier than the previous shells which had a permanent cover.

I found the 2011 Strada for $879 on ActiveWake but it sounds like the '12 Strada is significantly better than last years. Can anyone give me more of an explanation as to why the '12 is so much better? Is the stiffness between the two models that different because of the new carbon positioning?

"The 2012 Radar Strada Water Ski is one of the most exciting and user friendly skis Radar has ever created. The Strada features the same shape, and side- to-side speed, that gives you those extra few inches between the buoys. The Radar Strada has a new 45 degree torsional carbon lay-up that makes the ski sturdier at the end of a turn, and is now more aggressive off the second wake. The Strada returns with its signature 4 stage rocker, that gives the speed and balance that skiers crave. Also, the deep channeled tip contours remove excess mass in the tip. Another feature that the Strada offers is the Dual bevel configuration which creates a quick turning on-side, and level riding off-side. Sitting atop of the World Pro rankings as the Men and Women's #1 Ski in 2011, the 2012 Radar Strada does not disappoint!"

I got the quote from above on radars website under: strada, info.

Same shape, just a different carbon lay-up and more mass removed from the tip (the groves on the top of the ski).

I have a 2010 strada and love it, although it might be worth spending more money for the 2012. Just depends on how much you want to spend.