AWSA Driver Background check?

Jody_Seal

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
Are back to this? I thought Darwin was starting an the "Darwin Water Ski Association" so none of this mattered.

• Baller
@OB, I've kinda been out of touch for awhile, so this is down the line by about 3 weeks. You stated that you contacted USAWS and they confirmed that all drivers at sanctioned practices must be at least "Trained Rated". To your knowledge is there going to be any official notification forthcoming to those who have sanctioned practices? When I sanctioned our practices for 2012 there was no such requirement listed. There was the requirement (same as last year) that if guests are allowed a safety official must be present, but nothing else. It would seem that a notification would be in order, or just another loophole to deny insurance liability if a claim were to be presented. On the rated driver subject of MVR review, it's listed in the Regional Guide that I just received. I also was informed that the background check WILL be just that, more than just a MVR review, along the same lines as that required for coaches/instructors.

• Baller

Here it is:

Hi Leon,

We’ve been working through the details and logistics of these new policies passed by the board so that’s why nothing has been published yet. We’re planning to publish the details on Monday.

With regard to sanctioned practices, the new policy that will require all drivers during sanctioned practices to have a minimum of a Trained Driver rating will not go into effect until January 1, 2013. This will give clubs time to get their drivers the necessary training to obtain these ratings. A Trained Driver rating can be obtained by passing the online USA-WS iDrive Boats course along with a practical evaluation.

However, effectively immediately all boat drivers (towboats, pick up boats and other watercraft) participating in USA Water Ski "sanctioned practices/exhibitions" and sanctioned events shall comply with, and meet all requirements, for boater's training and/or licensing under state law applicable in the driver's state of residence.

Again, we hope to publish all the new requirements on Monday. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Brandon Wolf

Director of Competition

• Baller
I just read the email posted above from Brandon Wolf. I must be reading it wrong. In one sentence, it states that sanctioned practices requirement of a Trained Driver goes into effect in Jan. 2013, however the in the next paragraph it states that the policy is effective immediately for "sanctioned practices/exhibitions". What is the difference between sanctioned practices and "sanctioned practices/exhibitions"? Is the latter practice at a tournament site, and the former regular skiing at the lake that has been sanctioned from sunrise to sunset, Jan through Dec? I concur the AWSA should secede from USAWS.

• Baller

However, effectively immediately all boat drivers (towboats, pick up boats and other watercraft) participating in USA Water Ski "sanctioned practices/exhibitions" and sanctioned events shall comply with, and meet all requirements, for boater's training and/or licensing under state law applicable in the driver's state of residence.

This is actually pretty big. Louisiana requires anyone born after 1982 to take a boating course (licensing). How many other states have similar laws in place? How many AWSA drivers were born after 1982? My bet is that most of the membership is unaware of this impending rule and will have to scramble to find a course to take in order to drive AWSA events. I foresee a nightmare scenario in attempting to regulate and enforce.

• Baller
I had to go digging to find it in Texas. The law changed last summer and the boating safety laws handbook published online hasn't even been updated. Here, anyone born before 9/1/93 is exempt from having to take the boater education course and getting a certificate. This is going to be stupid to keep track of.

• Baller

In KY a driver must be at least 12 years old and those 12 through 17 must possess a KY Safe Boating Certificate Card or a NASBLA certificate.

To clear up any confusion in the email from Brandon Wolf, the trained driver requirement takes effect 1/1/13 whereas the compliance with your state of residence requirements is effective immediately. This last part can impact rated Assistant drivers in some states, as USAWS allows Assistant drivers at age 16.

• Baller
got all the questions right and the system said he failed and he can retest later

@OB...I had the same issue. Tested on 2 Mar. Talked to Melanie (who seems very nice/helpful) at USA Water Ski, and she said it is likely because I have a Mac computer, and she relayed my problem to the iDrive folks. I have not heard a word from them. I am considering cancelling payment on the credit charge. In related news...I now have very good gouge for the test if anyone needs it!

• Baller
The program is not compatible with Safari browser. After further review, there is a small note regarding this at the bottom of the instructions...if you read that nonsense! I missed it, but it still let me do the whole course and test only to score my test a zero. Just waiting words from iDrive...

• Baller_

March 12, 2012

ATTENTION USA WATER SKI AND SPORT DISCIPLINE RATED DRIVERS

USA Water Ski's board of directors has adopted updated Rated Driver program requirements, which will be phased in over the next two years. The overall goal is to update and improve our driver's education programs as a part of USA-WS's continuing commitment to the safety of all water ski participants. A complete copy of the updated Rated Driver program is available by clicking here (PDF).

How will this affect Rated Drivers? USA-WS has different Rated Driver training programs and ratings, ranging from USA-WS Trained Drivers to USA-WS Sport Discipline-specific driver's testing and certification programs. The updated drivers program simplifies many of the core basic safety training requirements applicable to all USA-WS programs, and also implements various screening programs focused on the safe driving skills of our Rated Drivers. These include:

Rated Drivers must meet all training, certification and renewal requirements applicable to their driver's rating;

Rated Drivers must comply with all requirements for boater's training and licensing applicable in their state of residence;

Rated Drivers must hold a current, valid motor vehicle operator's license (or demonstrate that his/her motor vehicle operator's license privileges have not been suspended or revoked, if the Rated Driver does not have a motor vehicle operator's license);

How will the Rated Drivers screening program be implemented? USA-WS will use a confidential third-party screening service to conduct a motor vehicle records check (at a cost of $12.50) for all new and renewing Rated Drivers (as future renewals occur). To complete the review process, each driver will be directed to USA Water Ski's third party screening agency's Web site to pay the $12.50 fee and authorize the Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Review. Both the driver and USA Water Ski will be notified of Pass/Fail status. Applicants with a record of one or more serious motor vehicle or boating convictions within the prior three years (drunk driving, driving under the influence of drugs, possession of an open alcohol container in a motor vehicle, leaving the scene of an accident, assault by use of a motor vehicle or reckless driving) will not be eligible for a USA-WS Rated Drivers rating. Rated Drivers must also report any suspension or loss of their motor vehicle driver's license to USA-WS.

What is the time table for implementing the motor vehicle records check program? As of April 1, 2012, all new Rated Driver applicants will be required to complete the motor vehicle records screening process. Existing Rated Drivers will be required to complete the screening process upon renewal (every two years), with the next renewal period in 2014.

Will USA-WS's drivers training and rating programs be changed? The changes to USA-WS Trained Driver and Sport Discipline driver's training and rating programs will be minimal, although each Sport Discipline has the authority to update its programs consistent with these core requirements. USA-WS has asked each Sport Discipline to review and update their driver's programs to make sure that the programs include training on safe boating laws and requirements, "rules of the water" training, manufacturer's operating requirements, safety checklists and recommendations, a demonstration of the driver's "on water" ability to safely pull a skier, and event planning and safety considerations applicable to USA-WS events. The USA-WS post-event Safety Checklist will also be modified to include a "sign off" by the supervising or chief driver for the event.

Are there any changes in the requirements to host a "sanctioned practice" or sanctioned event? To ensure consistency with these updated program changes and compliance with USA-WS's liability and towboat insurance program requirements, all "covered practices" and sanctioned events must use Rated Drivers as towboat drivers throughout the practice or sanctioned event, except that driver trainees (as a part of a driver's training or instructional program) may tow skiers during a practice or event if they are accompanied (in the boat) and under the direct supervision of a Rated Driver.

When will these updated event requirements go into effect? For "sanctioned practices and exhibitions," these program changes will take effect for events hosted after January 1, 2013. For all other sanctioned events, these changes are effective immediately.

USA Water Ski remains committed to the safety of all participants and water ski enthusiasts, and we greatly appreciate the ongoing efforts and commitment of our many volunteers.

• Baller

Are there any changes in the requirements to host a "sanctioned practice" or sanctioned event? To ensure consistency with these updated program changes and compliance with USA-WS's liability and towboat insurance program requirements, all "covered practices" and sanctioned events must use Rated Drivers as towboat drivers throughout the practice or sanctioned event, except that driver trainees (as a part of a driver's training or instructional program) may tow skiers during a practice or event if they are accompanied (in the boat) and under the direct supervision of a Rated Driver.

So, the "trained driver" is useless? In addition, I say we take $10,000 from the AWSA budget next year to fund this cost on behalf of our 800 rated drivers. USAWS pulls in $1.6mil - AWSA gets $34,000 of that. Of which, 99% goes to fund 12 elite skiers. I say we spread the wealth and cover this cost for the drivers who pull our events.

• Baller_

So basicly everytime I test or upgrade, I need to send someone 12.50 and make sure I dont get any DWIs.

I wonder what percentage of rated drivers have DWIs within the last 3 years? How many will report to USA when they get one?

• Baller

@OB On another side note I recived a email back from iDrive today. I might ask for a refund now that I do not need to get the program together for my club. or I can just take it and be a head of the game for next year.

I apologize for the inconvenience, the website only supports Explorer or Firefox as internet browsers. If you were using a Mac with Safari you should have gotten a message letting you know to use a different browser. If you are using a Mac you should use Firefox and then you won't have any problems. Unfortunately the scoring program does not work at all if you use a browser other than the recommended ones and therefore it doesn't save any of your answers. I have re-set your test so that of course you can re-take it at no additional charge. Your login and password remain the same so you can just go to the website www.idriveboats.com/usawaterski and login to re-take the test.

I logged in with your account on a Mac using Firefox and didn't have any problems but if you should have any problems just let me know.

Thank you for understanding.

Maria

• Baller
Another document that was sent to me this AM from one of our SR councilmen does seem to have a discrepancy, but does say that effective Jan 1 2013 the trained driver requirements for a practice driver will take effect. I can forward it PDF to anyone who will provide me with your email address. This document specifically defers some requirements for NWSRA drivers, but not AWSA drivers. Go figure!

• Baller
@ShaneH, that's the way I read it. Your renewal is based on the quantitative 6 tournaments every 2 years. It appears that every driver's 2 years are the same(??). Most recent 2 year period being 2010 and 2011. 2013 and 2014 will be the next compilation period and prior to renewal at that time they will notify you that you need the MVR and how to proceed and pay $12.50.

• Baller

Looks like I'm

grandfathered in in Florida

Florida Boating Safety – Educational Requirements

Florida Boating Safety Educational Requirements were updated January 1, 2010. This update requires boat operators who were born on or after January 1, 1988 to obtain a Florida Boating Safety Education Identification Card in order to operate a motorboat with ten horsepower or more.

LOOK AT ITEM 2

Are some people who were born on or after January 1, 1988 exempt from these boating safety educational requirements?

Yes, there are some exemptions. Below is a list of those exemptions.

 A person licensed by the U. S. Coast Guard as a master of a vessel.

 A person operating on a private lake or pond.

 An operator who is accompanied onboard by a person who is least 18 years old and possesses the required Boating Safety Education Identification Card, provided that person is attendant to and responsible for the safe operation of the vessel.

 An operator who is accompanied onboard by a person who is exempt from the educational requirements, provided that person is attendant to and responsible for the safe operation of the vessel.

 A non-resident who has in his or her possession proof that he or she has completed a NASBLA-approved boater safety course or equivalency examination from another state.

 A person is operating a vessel within 90 days after the purchase of that vessel and has available for inspection aboard that vessel a bill of sale meeting all the requirements as established in Chapter 328.46(1), Florida Statutes.

 A person operating a vessel within 90 days after completing an approved boating safety course, as required in Chapter 327.395(1), and has a photographic I.D. and a boater education course completion certificate showing proof of having completed the required boating safety education course. The course completion certificate must provide the student's first and last name

• Baller
Next year a Breathalyzer will be be needed to drive. I was talking with another member and this could be just the start of changes. Are they going to give the judges a math teat to see if they can count to 6? USA will step in a huge pile if they increase safety qualifications. Just wait and see.

Note the language used in the post forwarded by MS- "possession of an open alcohol container in a motor vehicle"; and "three years"... those are insurance industry standards. The open container in a vehicle stricture is not to my understanding universally prohibited across the U.S.?

An MVR as they call it, is often flawed. The records do not necessarily identify those who have changed their names, birthdates, taken new or false identity for legal or illegal reasons and a host of other issues. They often don't seem to "hit" out-of-state suspended drivers due the variety of records systems in use. If This third party- Who are they? I will suggest it likely they are (very) connected to an insurance company- because insurance companies do have regular access to driver records. How were they selected? Is there a company that will do it for $5.00? Is there some connection with a Board member?

Whatever number you want to use for the statistic- when say more than 10% of a population refuses or fails to follow a rule or law- it often means it's a bad law. If say, 25% of our rated drivers refuse to pay, and provide the info, will that be enough? What if suddenly 50% of our drivers don't comply- It will get very difficult to hold a tournament in the U.S... Maybe just say no! Punish the anomolies, not ALL of us.

I see the language used (again) is all about safety- it seems nearly anything can get shoved down the throats of any group if you mention it's about "safety" or "it's for the children" . I try to be as safe as I can- I like kids just fine- but using those phrases hostage to usurp my customs, rights or priveledges really annoys me. Somehow we need to hold the Board accountable to us- the membership. When the 'governors' proceed against or without the wishes or best interests of those governed, don't they have a word for that? This measure is supposed to save AWSA how many thousands? Will our dues go down? Or will the extra cash get p___ed away some other nifty way?

+1 for the Darwin Water Ski Assn.!

• Baller
I have made a written (e-mail) proposal to USAWS/AWSA leadership instructing USAWS to fund each sport discipline to offset the cost of this initiative for their respective drivers. If USAWS refuses to allocate funding, my second proposal is for AWSA to re-allocate our "stipend" from USAWS to cover the costs for our 800+ drivers. Since this new requirement will not take effect until 2013, there is adequate time for USAWS/AWSA to modify their 2013 budgets if they so choose. If you agree (or disagree) with my position, please let your regional representatives know.