Dairy Farms, Heifer rearing units next to ski schools

andyb

• Baller

Hi everyone

looking at doing a ski trip to america but want to look at some heifer rearing units while i'm over there. Anyone got any farming connections or suggestions?

I know Wisconsin and surrounding states have some big units.

Thanks

Andy

• Baller
Wish, I have done so and he says the same in a voice you would immediately recognize as the one and only RKO. Let me know if you want his number, I'm sure he would love to catch up. You know you would laugh some during the conversation : )

I have a Dairyfarm in California if you are looking to visit a different part of the country. I don't what kind of heifer facility you are interested in but there is about 200 large dairy farms within an hour of our farm. I am sure we can find something that fits your needs.

• Baller
Cheers for all the offers, not so sure about ms offer though ! Want to look at the heifer rearing side mainly to see what you guys are doing over there and if I can apply anything back here on our unit. Is there accommodation near by ?

• Baller

You would be surprised...a joint in my hometown supplies most of the calcium carbonate for tums and unbelievable amounts of powdered buttermilk. You would not drive by it and be amazed at the size. We also have sparboe eggs, one of the largest egg producers nationwide and First District Association...a massive producer of cheese (that factory is seriously big) all in a town of 6500. It's funny the industry that makes up small towns sometimes.

For Andy; I talked w/Bob and he said if you make it up this way, he would take a day off and give you a tour of dairies and heifer breeders and leave some time for skiing.

• Baller

Isn't the Dairy farm near the lakes in(near)Bakersfield one of the largest and most progressive dairies in the country? One of my patients who's a dairy farmer in Kentucky went out there for a tour to get some ideas for his farm.

There is one right up the hill from my farm(lake). It is not a pleasant smell, but they are good people.

You might want to get hooked up with a milk truck driver and get to see multiple farms in a day.

• Baller
Looks like I'm going to have to make a few trips across the pond! Thinking of coming across for a week to ten days, only two of us wife and I leaving kids behind !! See as many units as possible and get lots of skiing in meet some new folk and have a good time. How close are you all ? I know andyr is a flight away perhaps leave that for another trip but the rest of you...?

• Baller

He's a character for sure; and a great ski partner. He's an excellent hoof trimmer and one of the hardest working guys I've ever met. July is probably the most reliable ski month in Minnesota for weather. As for Minneapolis, I'll let s'one else chime in as I prefer wide open space to the City.

Between Razor1's (my bro) home site, Razor1's access to a private site, a semi private near Bob's home, "the swamp" where Bob and I ski, and MS to the south I would think at a minimum we could show you a good ski time. Razor1 and I are obligated elsewhere the last week of July. On the dairy/farm side, Bob can certainly give you a first rate tour...though it sounds like there is some expertise elsewhere in the forum as well.

Keep us posted if you come this way, if not I'm sure any of the ballers you visit will show you a good time.