Best sites to ski at or events to try and enter on USA trip

cranker

Hi all, sorry to ask open ended questions.

My plan is to take 6 to 7 months leave and spend the 2013 ski season in the US, planning is to leave after Moomba or the Australian National which are held at Easter and as the title states do as many sites and events, what are your thoughts?

We have skied at skied at Sunset Lake with the Travers' and we plan to start and end the trip there.

We also plan to buy a cheap car wagon/SUV that will hold a 3 event bag and run the wheels off, $4-5,000 I feel should do the trick, maybe and older Tahoe etc

We are keen to ski as many sites as possible and are also happy to help out others who may be thinking of a trip down to Australia.

Regards

• Baller

Go to Callaway Gardens in Georgia over Memorial day weekend to see the best skiers compete.

If you like show skiing, go to the show ski nationals usually held in Wisconsin.

You're always welcome to ski with us here in NJ if you hit NY city in your travels (I am 1 hour from NYC)

Enterprise rent a car is my favorite....make sure you get unlimited miles. I would pick a mini-van over an SUV, it will use a lot less gas (petrol) :)

• Administrators

West Coast - first ideas...still in bed... more later

October - Imperial Record - SoCal...almost mexico

Paradise class C -Southern / Central California

Diablo ProAm - September Norther CA

Horton Lake - SoCal. Just get a ride for the History

Lake Powell - no balls but everyone says it is unreal beautiful

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Twin Oaks Lake- Paducha KY

Lake Magnolia- Smithfield NC

Okhelee(probobly incorrect spelling)-West Palm FL

Radar Lake- if possible, in Seattle, only way to ski there is if there is a clinic.

Goode Ski lake- Odgen UT. again a hard site to ski at unless clinic or tournment

• Baller
I'd download the Google Earth file on this website and plot your course! I can't imagine any of the sites listed would be a disappointment. Definitely hang out in Florida for a while until the rest of the country starts to warm up. Western Washington is most predictable between July 7-September 14. Here in Montana we start skiing in mid April if we're lucky, but it may snow on us as late as June. However, we're up in the mountains. Most of the other northern states have true springs and are cooking by June.

• Baller
Definitely hang out in Florida for a while until the rest of the country starts to warm up.

I take that back! I'd get over to Texas early in the season while they still have skiable water. Any of the southern states should be sweet by April.

Wow, what a fantastic response, thank you everyone these are great ideas and much more than expected.

Good idea Jerseydave, never really considered a mini van, we were planning on buying the vehicle and leaving it for friends when we come home, the plan is to get back to Orlando each year.

My son is the skier he is currently 17 and will get back over to more often than my wife and I, we just pay the bills watch and do some judging at events.

Why the big trip, well I'm coming up to retire, 28 years military and my son will finish school and this is the last chance for a big family trip before he starts his career, he intends to join that other service....Navy, the family shame haha.

Well I have started thinking about a calendar and map and will put the locations on and try and line this up with planned tournaments once the official calendars start appearing.

Once again, thank you for the fantastic advice, offers and help.

Regards

• Baller_

As you make your way thru the USA take a good look at skiing in SRB (Santa Rosa Beach) Florida. The Picko's site will be holding in May and June a number of tournaments where the best three event skiers in the world tend to congregate. You might even get to see a world record in any three events. Short line lakes is located just a mile from the worlds most beautiful beach's And the Gulf of Mexico.. You wont be disappointed!

See you at Moomba!