Nate slow

Cam

At one time I was lucky enough to have a skier who ran 41 in a pro event tell me the truth many skiers try to disprove.

It looks so fast and hard because it is.

Angle is a by-product of speed.

You must travel further in the same amount of time as the rope gets shorter.

There was a long talk about feet per second traveled at 36 mph skier speed VS 70 mph skier speed.

This video of a nearly impossible run answers the question of why does it get harder as the rope gets shorter.

• Baller

@mrpreuss

How is angle a by-product of speed? The greater the angle that your ski has behind the boat the greater the speed you will create. I can have a ton of speed but no angle and I would go more down course because my cross course angle is shallower.

• Baller
To have better angle requires higher speed in the direction (vector) perpendicular to the boat as the speed in the direction (vector) of the boat is always constant in the pulling zone (34 or 36 mph if you will). Perpendicular speed and angle thus go hand-in-hand. If you can generate greater speed in the perpedicular direction you can acheive greater angle. If you have greater speed in the perpendicular direction you can acheive more angle.

Well stated Lieutenant Dan.

At that time I was running 38 at 34 mph and he was running 39 at 36 mph and winning pro events.

Other than asking questions and taking notes, I shut up and tried to understand what he was telling me.

If you improve you position over the ski in the transition/preturn, this will allow you to carry more speed.

• Baller
I am not late at the gate yet.....well maybe if my turn in is late I have to pull harder....I don't know, it just feels like when I let up on the intesity, I get behind. With that said, where you pull your guts out and for how long matters; but, whereever your work zone winds up (preferably at the completion of the turn through the second wake) you better be on it.

• Baller
Great Vid. Never looks like Nate even works hard. At 6' 190 lbs. pulling my guts out worked for me from wide with Perfect Pass. It did not work for me with ZO and has taken 2-3 years to get back to where I was TPB with PP. I pull as hard now but where it starts and ends has changed significantly. I can not scrap with ZO if I am behind period! If it matters I run mid 12.0m at girls speed.

• Baller

Hmmm. I'd love to see a load gauge on the line when Nate crosses the gate vs. what it looks like for each of us. It is very difficult to talk about load correctly without it, because what looks like "pulling like hell" for one guy, might be light work for another. With ZO I would say that I ski lighter on the line than I ever have in my lifetime. My goal is to "hide" from ZO - be light and don't let it kick my butt - at least not right at the turn in. Load does increase into the first wake for me, but then decreases pretty quickly.

Also, it seems that skiing is a bit like sailing (even though I don't sail). Pull the sail too tight and you generate load, but not speed. Set the angle to the wind correctly and you generate less load, more speed. Point being that there is an optimal angle/load combination that gets you to the right place at the right time at the right speed. Nate is awesome at making that happen.

All of that being said, I suspect that a load gauge would show that my load level, which I consider light, and Nate's, which is described as pulling his guts out, may not be markedly different.

• Baller

Fully ascribing to the notion of “loading the line late”, “light on the line”, “hide from ZO”, “ski spray to spray”, etc., etc.; however the data suggests we max load a lot sooner than what we perceive as optimal.

How the load is initiated; with optimal velocity (speed & direction), how it is sustained (not getting high-sided, not giving it up prior to the 2nd wake), is critical.

Crushing the turn, coming off the buoy in some attempt to generate massive angle acutely (or during a direction change for the gates) is not the way to create sustainable load; optimal velocity is killed.

Naturally speed & direction (angle), the components of velocity, are inextricably linked, but the perception of speed creating angle merits focus. Attempting to use angle to create speed leads to unsustainable load, on the other hand, shifting the COM in the desired direction of travel efficiently generates speed yielding the sustainable angle sought.

Ramping up less acutely probably permits greater ability to sustain productive load through the 2nd wake, but suspect the upper stratum have mastered the technique of using speed through the direction change significantly more intensely while continuing to optimally load with proper handle control through the 2nd wake.

• Baller
I agree with the you Gloersen. Question for me is sustained productive angle and load. As someone who used to load hard after the ball, I know that if I do that I then lose angle to the boat almost immediately while also picking up speed. Of course, that sends me straight at the next ball with too much speed! However, if I come out of the ball softer and with less load/angle (call it "optimal", for lack of a better term), then I accelerate, build load, and even build a little bit of angle all the way to the first wake. In this case, I have more room ahead of the next ball, my speed seems more constant, and I am more in control of the handle.

I'm glad there are a few more people out there that are not on the "light on the line" bandwagon. I've never understood the whole light on the line thing? I've been told that I appear to ski "light on the line" but I too am pulling my guts out all the time. I think the difference between light and heavy on the line is all about timing. Look at Nate's Two ball in this video compared to every other turn. He gets deep in the finish of the turn and ends up loading the line early and hanging on for dear life. Unfortunately for me this is what almost all of my onside turns feel like beyond 35' off and I'm not entirely sure how to fix it.

• Baller

Klundell, I won't argue with your scores and it certainly looks like Nate is giving it some mustard. Food for thought in that controlled aggression is ok.

Uncontrolled aggression for me or Razor and nothing good happens. Usually we find ourselves in the water, handle in hands, ribs sore, and boat still moving down the course. We are doing all we can to get lighter, and our skiing is improving as a result. Hoping to catch up with your skiing someday!

• Baller

I was going to start another thead to discuss the following; but, I think it fits here. Horton can decide.

I agree with Kludell's comments and have sort of theorized about the timing and loading of the boat equating to being "light on the line". I think it all has to do with your "hook up" and your "work zone". If you had the most intense part of your pull directly behind the boat, the driver would not feel you as much; or, at least feel like you were pulling the boat off center. It is all about force vectors and Physics. How to correct it? That is another story; I am still trying to figure it out.

If you are early, can keep your speed up through the turn, and not have to load the line until you were 1/2 back to the white water; you will feel a whole lot "lighter on the line" than if you are late or down course and have to get on the line right off the ball.

• Baller
No, that is right; but, those who do it better, more often are "light on the line". I don't think anyone is necessarily lighter or heavier on the line; that is only the perception of the boat crew/driver. I contest that load, as shown on the MB and TW comparison, is somewhat consistent between skiers of comparable skill level and boat speed. It is just a matter of where you apply it; hence, no one is actually lighter on the line, just more efficeint and precise base on technique and work zone.