ski boot mod

19skier

• Baller
On the off chance anyone is familiar with or uses Full Tilt snow ski boots with the changeable tongues: I just opened up and put together the new ski - S2 with EXO Forms - and after sticking my front foot in am convinced that I need to limit the range of motion they allow. My front foot has three bones fused and i'm just coming off a blown up calcaneus/ruptured achillies/broken ankle and don't want to repeat by over flexing the ankle. I am thinking about trying to mod the front boot with a Full Tilt tongue stiffener (http://www.porterstahoe.com/store/J09550115!FULLT/FULL+TILT+STIFFY+TONGUE+FLEX+10). Wondering if anyone is familiar with these or if there is better boot out there that will mount to the S2 and help limit range of motion? Thanks.

I've seen skiers rivet the cuff on their Reflex shells so that the only flex is from the plastic deforming.

The Connelly Stealth boots have and optional tongue stiffener that would probably be more simple to retrofit than the Full Tilt tongues.

Another approach would be to attach something rigid to the lower shell and attach it to the cuff. You can see the concept in the fork shaped piece running up the back of the Nordica Firearrow boots.

http://skieuropenow.typepad.com/.a/6a010535c6c5e4970c015436cdd18d970c-800wi

• Baller
Thanks on the Stealth boot info. Haven't seen those before either. I really like two boots on one releasable plate, both knees have been worked on and I think keeping feet together should protect knees some. Wish the HO boots had taller cuffs, bet the rear stiffener idea could help if they were taller.

• Baller

I snow ski in Full Tilts. Great snow ski boots. I use the softest (yellow) tongue.

The Full Tilt tongues have significant relief for the wire clips. This makes them thick and difficult to slip between the shell of your waterski hardshell and the liner. I tried some old Nordica outer tongues to stiffen my waterski boots. They were nice and smooth, comfortable, easy to use and added lots of stiffness. Too much stiffness for me. I ended up using the plastic parts of skate liners to stiffen my RS1 boots. I gave my Nordica outer tongues to Camilo to stiffen his Reflex boot after I lost his other tongue stiffener (I'm not sure what snow ski boot he salvaged it from). Tongue stiffeners are a proven technique to adjust the flex of a waterski boot. But Full Tilt tongues are not the right tongues. Check the ski swaps for the right tongue.

Eric