Considering relocating

rodltg2

• Baller
It seems like the inevitable is about to happen. My dad is wanting to retire and wants me to take over his compnay. I've been avoiding it for years mainly do to the massive amount of travel . Including some places where I would not want to go like Libya, Columbia and Nicaragua. I recently got back from a trip with him to Panama and realized I can't just let him close his company. Eventhough I have told him many a time that I wasnt interested, he never made any alternate plans. So since It looks like I will be moving forward with this and will be facing alot of travel, I want to try see if I can minimize the travel time by moving. Most of the destinations will be Mexico City, Sanitago, Chile, and Sao Paulo ,Brasil. I currenlty live In Sacramento CA and I want to possibly move where I can find direct flights to these destinations. By doing so I am also hoping to find a house on a Ski Lake!! Right now I am considering Houston or Miami areas. Any other recommendations? I'm not looking at making this move right away however as I have my own company to consider plus family and friends. Any input appreciated!

• Baller
I would look at the Dallas/Ft Worth area. Ski year round. DFW airport is a hub for American Airlines. International flights are non-stop Several nice private sites. Ski Haven north of Ft Worth near the Texas Motor Speedway and a non stress 35 min drive to DFW airport. Princeton in North East of Dallas about a 60 min drive to DFW depending on time of day maybe more. Plus, Dallas is not in the Hurricane paths (Houston & Miami) and has better rain fall for lake levels. (Austin) I know of several houses For Sale. Prices are MUCH lower than CA. Both Ski Haven and Princeton have places for sale.

• Baller

ral, the idea of moving to Chile was getting thrown around between myself and my dad, but I think it would be too big a change for my wife. Kids are young enough to not know any different. BTW check out my new tat! People in Texas probably wouldn't see the differnce. LOL

I think my wife would prefer Texas as is is closer to CA to come back and visit. Those homes seem so reasonable on those three lakes. I really like your house Clay! If it was up to me I'd make the move now!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/IMG_0055.jpg

• Baller
The Lone Star state is hard to beat, but having lived and skied in both Houston and DFW, I can tell you Houston is better. We don't get near as hot in the Summer and not near as cold in the Winter. Here in NE Houston we are 15 min. from IAH (Bush), awesome tourney sites within an hour's drive (Cypress, Lago, Terra Mare, Stephensons, etc.), and have water in our private lake that is 20 min away. We will welcome you to God's country, so come on.

• Baller
I'm with lhoover. The tournament scene in the Houston area is one of the most relaxed you will find. From May through the end of September you will find 3 tournaments a month at one of the 6-7 sites which hold tournaments. If you want to fly in sometime and check things out, feel free to give me a shout and I'll show you around.

• Baller
Well after some serious consideraion, I my tentative plan is this. I'm going to stay in California for about 2 more years. Sell my business and move. My plan is to hopefully move to a ski lake home. Houston is looking good. Never been , but looking at homes on ski lakes in Houston area , they look very affordable. (At least now they are) I think this maybe the best long term solution and I can finally achieve my dream of living on a lake and be closer to S. America. Now I just need to sell the wife on it !

• Baller

@rodltg2. You have chosen wisely. I unfortunately spend considerable time in the air and travel to Mexico and Houston is by far the easiest way to get to Mexico City and other parts of Mexico as well, such as Puebla etc. They also have several airlines going thru so you will not be stuck with one like I am with Delta in Salt Lake City.

Also, the cost of living is very affordable, and with the exception of 2 months out of the year, the weather is fantastic. Plus, as you are aware from other threads here, private lakes are plentiful!

If I could move to Houston, I would do so in a heartbeat. Be grateful for your "dilemma", because it sounds like you are going to make some fantastic lemonade out of the situation.

• Baller

82 f air temp today in Houston. Water was 65 yesterday. We skied 4 days in a row. :) Good decision, though. You can get about 1000 flights a day out of Houston to South and Central America.

When you want to come visit, let me know. Many a baller has crashed at mi casa over the last few years.

• Baller

Houston sounds like a great choice. The thought of staying in a house with Shane is terrifying.

I was disappointed when he showed up at Cottonwood with a very nice normal lady and didnt do anything crazy at Diablo. He may be getting old.

• Baller
@rodtg2, I currently live in Houston while managing our business in the southern states, Mexico and LATAM. Flights to São Paulo, Buenos Aires, Santiago, and Mexico City are generally direct and simple out of Houston IAH airport. Little to no time zone change makes it much easier on the body also. Feel free to send me a note if you have any questions about the city, great place to be for skiers in my opinion.

Having grown up in and lived in Houston for a good portion of my adult life, I can say that it is a great place to live. However, @lhoover, I have never heard anyone say that it is hotter in Dallas. The heat/humidity combination in Houston during the summer is beyond oppressive. I never realized how bad it was until I moved only a few hours north. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer Houston, overall, to Dallas, and Dallas is hot as can be in the summer (I don't live in Dallas).

I will always consider Houston to be my hometown. It is relaxed, cosmopolitan, and suits a variety of interests for those who live there and visit there. But I never realized that sweating through my clothes during the summer wasn't normal until I moved away.

Rod, I think you will like it a lot there. Dallas is also not a bad alternative though. I have done the nonstop flights to Mexico City from both Houston and Dallas when my mom was splitting time in the Yucatan, and I prefer AeroMexico to Continental (better food) for that leg.

Good luck with the move.