35 off and beyond - 34 mph skier weight, height, ski brand & length?

JC McCavit

• Baller
5'11'', 190 lbs. Razor A68 to practice PB 2 @ 39 and tied tourney PB of 4 @ 38. My D3 RCX went around 5 ball at 38 this season as well and has been into 39 prior seasons...no tourneys on the D3 this season as I converted to the Razor. Had been on KD or D3 since the early 90's and am still a fan of their products/service.

• Baller

5'9" - 160lbs - 34mph PB practice 1-2@39, tournament 5@38

Fischer 66 - Orange (hard) - last 3/4 years - Best ski I had for 36mph, ok for 34mph, I think a softer one would be better for 34

Currently trying a Reflex 67, new ski, new bindings, still do not feel confortable as my old Fischer, will see...

• Baller
6 ft, 190lbs. Razor A68. Prior ski was Fisher Orange 68, b4 that was a 69 inch Sixam. All three skis have run into 39 off, the last two in tournaments. The Razor differentiates itself with consistency at shortline. I have more time because the ski gets me where I need to be faster and with less effort. This translates to fewer mistakes, and more consistency at running my shortline passes.

• Baller

6'2", 170lbs. Goode 9900SL regular, 165 amp (65.75" medium flex).

Practice and tournament best 1 @ 34/-39, but 1.5 @ 34/-38 is a lot more typical.

My skiing style (either "finesse" or "weak" depending on your perspective) seems to dictate a smaller ski. The official Goode chart would have me on a 176 (66.25" soft), which I must admit I've never actually tried, but whenever I've gone up in ski length I've felt uncomfortable. Can feel amazing at -28, but I can't turn efficiently at -35 and -38.

• Baller

5'-10", 185# on a good day. Elite 67.5, but going to play with my 68 Fischer Yellow some next summer.

Was injured most of the summer, and never got past 2 @ 38 in practice this year, and didn't run 35 in my only tourney of the season. I'm planning on a big comeback next year...

• Baller

6'1" was 195-205 on a 67" (really 68") Goode 9500 220 amp. I rode the 9500 up to about 220lbs for 3@38 in my last tournament a few years ago. Favorite all time was a 9100 67" 240 amp ran 1@39 in practice, probably 195lbs.

I tried several 69" skis at the higher weight and always came back to the 68" skis for better scoring avg.

• Baller
I think it is very cool that so many ballers responded and it served a really good purpose. First, it shows that 35 off and beyond is a very elite group of skiers that I want to belong to. I came close but did not run my 35 off in either of the two tournaments I entered this year. I hope to next year. I am 6'2" 190lbs. I was 185 lbs. during the ski season. I will start next season at 175 lbs. I am going to go from a 68 inch STRADA to either a 66 or 67. I really appreciate you guys giving up this personal information. It was very enlightening.

• Baller
I had the pleasure of watching Drago run 39 twice in a weekend at our tournament in '10. The second one, he went off the dock at -38, thinking it was -35, and ran it. Came back at-39, and ran that too. Awesome skiing. Stay healthy this year Drago...

• Baller

@OB Build is indeed key. My optimal in-season weight is actually under 170 lbs, and I, too, am 6'2". But I have a really narrow frame, especially my chest. I'd certainly be willing to go up in weight if I could add a lot of strength, but it doesn't appear that I can (despite the steroid thing in the other thread...)

The other weird factor is that a lot of the muscles that are really valuable for slalom don't really add much weight no matter what. Adding core strength, for example, is always a win because that strength is so valuable and the extra weight is nearly 0.

And now that I'm an old man, I am really interested in small stabilizers, which are valuable both for injury prevention and running more buoys. Can't push any impressive weights using these little guys, though -- in fact a lot of my rotator cuff work is kind of embarassing because just the single weight at the top of the stack is enough for many of the angles!

• Baller_

Sometimes I have to live thru my son because I just am not that good!

Stephen Seal, age 25

5'7"

175-180#

best score 4@38

Ski's on 67" ski, Sixam, Elite,Radar, Goode,D-3 just does not seem to matter natural talent. stood on the men1 slalom podium this years nationals with less than 10 practice rides all year!