Advice\Help New Ski

guitarcarr

I currently ski on a Connelly FX. I ski the course 8-9 days a year with many sets a day. The rest of the time I free ski and free ski a lot. But my free skiing is really practicing for my course skiing technique. I at the point where I think(and have been told by pro's) that I need a better ski if I want to get better at my course skiing. Right now I free ski at 22 off @ 29 and do the course at 15 off @ 28( hitting 3 balls and very close to getting all six.)

I want to get a new ski and used gear is fine with me. Here are some of the ski's I am looking at and would like some any input I can get before I do buy something:

1)HO ASX-Was told this is a good ski for begginer course skiing by a slalom ski coach.

2)Connelly V- Read a great review on this site about this and my current ski is also a wide ski.

3)Conelly Prophecy- Was told by a few great skiers that I should think about this ski because I will be able to ski into it as my course skills get better.

Thanx for any input!

Regards,

Guitarcarr

• Administrators

I do not think HO has made the ASX in a long time

The HO CO-X or Triumph are great. The CO-X is a higher end ski but I am a fan of both.

Connelly V is rock solid for your level of skiing. No need to get the Carbon V or the Prophecy.

The O'Brien Synchro is a proven winner at your level.

You can't talk about this level of skis without talking about the Radar Senate or Theory.

I would say you would be happy with any of these.

Goode ★ KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

I do not think HO has made the ASX in a long time

The HO CO-X or Triumph are great. The CO-X is a higher end ski but I am a fan of both.

Connelly V is rock solid for your level of skiing. No need to get the Carbon V or the Prophecy.

The O'Brien Synchro is a proven winner at your level.

You can't talk about this level of skis without talking about the Radar Senate or Theory.

I would say you would be happy with any of these.

Goode ★ KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

I am in the same boat as you. I just ordered an HO CO-X, I figure it will give me some growing room. I will probably demo the HO Triumph as well and maybe pick one up as I think it would be great for skiing the course at 28-30 mph. Above 30 the CO-X is awesome.

I am in the same boat as you. I just ordered an HO CO-X, I figure it will give me some growing room. I will probably demo the HO Triumph as well and maybe pick one up as I think it would be great for skiing the course at 28-30 mph. Above 30 the CO-X is awesome.

Thanks for all the replies. A friend that I ski with has the HO C0-x and we ski about the same level. I get thier opinion!

Horton, I read all the reviews on the ski's you mentioned. And you are correct, they are probabaly what I need.

Now, I just have to decide!

Thanks for all the replies. A friend that I ski with has the HO C0-x and we ski about the same level. I get thier opinion!

Horton, I read all the reviews on the ski's you mentioned. And you are correct, they are probabaly what I need.

Now, I just have to decide!

Guitarcarr, I was recently where you are now. I've had the Synchro, Theory, Senate, and Senate C. I picked up a Strada at the end of this season and immediately picked up a full pass. I went from struggling through a 15 off/28 mph pass to completely running the course at 30 mph on my second pass on the Strada. For me (I realize everyone is different) the Strada felt SO much better. I can hardly wait for spring!

Considering all of the ski's I've been through I would have been far ahead with the Strada from the get go.

Guitarcarr, I was recently where you are now. I've had the Synchro, Theory, Senate, and Senate C. I picked up a Strada at the end of this season and immediately picked up a full pass. I went from struggling through a 15 off/28 mph pass to completely running the course at 30 mph on my second pass on the Strada. For me (I realize everyone is different) the Strada felt SO much better. I can hardly wait for spring!

Considering all of the ski's I've been through I would have been far ahead with the Strada from the get go.

Not to hijack too much, but I'm in a similar position, with a Connelly V right now. I didn't get into the course this year but hope to hit it next year, but will naturally be starting at slower speeds. I think the V will probably be fine, but you know that that itch to try something new. I'm 6'4" and ~175, and will probably start at 28-30 mph in the course; not sure how far I will get within the season but I doubt I will ever go past 34 where I free ski. If I was going to switch skis (without a demo), is 67 about right or should I be looking at 68, being tall and starting slow?

Not to hijack too much, but I'm in a similar position, with a Connelly V right now. I didn't get into the course this year but hope to hit it next year, but will naturally be starting at slower speeds. I think the V will probably be fine, but you know that that itch to try something new. I'm 6'4" and ~175, and will probably start at 28-30 mph in the course; not sure how far I will get within the season but I doubt I will ever go past 34 where I free ski. If I was going to switch skis (without a demo), is 67 about right or should I be looking at 68, being tall and starting slow?

Ok guys, this is what I have been wondering.

-Do I go for a ski that is above my ability and learn to ski it?

-Or do I get a ski that is closer to my ability and then have to buy a new one after a year or two?

I think the Connelly V might be a little wide for me.

I am really thinking of getting the HO CO-X.

Or is there a ski that is just one notch higher than the HO CO-X that I don't need to be skiing at 34mph right away? I do intend to bump up my speed freeskiing to 30-32. But probably will have to run the course at 28-30. The ski I have now is a freaking log......lol. Makes me work way to hard and is not helping me with my form.

**I am 5'10" 175 lbs and intend to get a 67" ski.

Thanks again for the replies.

Regards,

Guitarcarr

Ok guys, this is what I have been wondering.

-Do I go for a ski that is above my ability and learn to ski it?

-Or do I get a ski that is closer to my ability and then have to buy a new one after a year or two?

I think the Connelly V might be a little wide for me.

I am really thinking of getting the HO CO-X.

Or is there a ski that is just one notch higher than the HO CO-X that I don't need to be skiing at 34mph right away? I do intend to bump up my speed freeskiing to 30-32. But probably will have to run the course at 28-30. The ski I have now is a freaking log......lol. Makes me work way to hard and is not helping me with my form.

**I am 5'10" 175 lbs and intend to get a 67" ski.

Thanks again for the replies.

Regards,

Guitarcarr

If you like the idea of the CO-X but want something a notch higher then go for the CO-X SL. Same shape, but made of carbon so it is lighter, more responsive, and has a more advanced flex pattern. Also, like Horton said in his review, it does many of the things he wished the top end skis would do. Less $ than the top skis also.

If you like the idea of the CO-X but want something a notch higher then go for the CO-X SL. Same shape, but made of carbon so it is lighter, more responsive, and has a more advanced flex pattern. Also, like Horton said in his review, it does many of the things he wished the top end skis would do. Less $ than the top skis also.

Ok, It seems like eveyone here is saying Strada. I ski in some pretty rough water when freeskiing(which is what I do most). But I do ski the course as much as I can. So is the strada going to be okay for my freeskiing?

And is 67" a good size for 5'10" 175(sometimes up to 180)

Ok, It seems like eveyone here is saying Strada. I ski in some pretty rough water when freeskiing(which is what I do most). But I do ski the course as much as I can. So is the strada going to be okay for my freeskiing?

And is 67" a good size for 5'10" 175(sometimes up to 180)

• Baller

Personally, I prefer skiing the Senate over the Strada when freeskiing in rough water. It's also perfectly happy in the course at 34 mph. The Strada is a great ski, but if you're skiing in not so great conditions you might prefer the damper ride of the Senate.

• Baller

Personally, I prefer skiing the Senate over the Strada when freeskiing in rough water. It's also perfectly happy in the course at 34 mph. The Strada is a great ski, but if you're skiing in not so great conditions you might prefer the damper ride of the Senate.

• Baller_
I rode the CoX SL for a month. Still one of my favorite skies tested. Rode Strata and Vice. Both of those skies absolutely have great potential for a lot of levels including the one u describe. Not a huge difference between the two either.

• Baller
For your level and speed, the CoX(sl), Senate©, and even Synchro would be money well spent. You can find a used Senate C for a song and a dance and it would easily take you into 35 off. I would not spend the money on a higher end ski yet. I don't feel like a $1200 Strada or A2 is going to give you an appreciable boost in performance or buoy count over one of the above middle width skis which are half the price. And in reality, those middle width skis will probably be better for you at this point.